• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Zoloft OUT....Kira In......

Hello, My name is Rob, I have been taking 50mg Zoloft since November 2006 and 0.25mg/day Clonazepam since 1999. I don't even know if I need the Clonazepam anymore for panic attacks, the only reason I still take it is because I can't seem to get off it, I get the derealization effect when I try cold turkey with it and alot of anxiety when I try to just wean off of it slowly. I'm gonna try vitamins,Valerian, fish oil and excersise to combat that as well as weaning much slower. Apparently the Zoloft is suppose to be alittle easier to come off of with a low does like mine, (knock on wood) My question is, I tried Kira brand SJW A few years back. 900mg/day for a few months. Somethig must not have been working after awhile for me to jump to Zoloft. Although I was going through tough times at the time. Would it be safe long term for me to take 1800mg/day without killing my internal organs. Depression and especially anxiety runs in my family, it's hereditary, so I'm in for the long run regardless

greta7

Hi Rob,
You never know. Maybe sjw will be a better fit this time. But don't use both. You'd want to make sure the zoloft is out of your system first. I have been using Kira brand for over five months and it has helped, along with talk therapy. But I'm switching over to New Chapter brand's SC27 now. I just feel like I need more help with depression lately and anxiety too. Second day on SC27 and it seems to be working just as well, although it may yet be too soon to tell though. Moral of my story is that if you try one brand and it doesn't help the way you want it to after a month, you might give another brand a try (Perika and New Chapter are popular). But I would try a different brand rather than upping the dose. I have found (and there seems to be additional anecdotal evidence here in the forum) that increasing the dose can cause anxiety. I had anxiety at 900mg of Kira so I kept it at 600mg. Oddly, the New Chapter brand is only 270mg per day (as opposed to 900mg) but they standardize it to a different chemical. So a larger dose is not necessarily better. Good luck...

redd

Lots of studies titrate the dosage higher than 900mg including up to 1800mg, so it should be fine. I would also suggest trying something like Serofin or SC27 mixed with Kira/Perika to get a higher dose. I don't think they recommend mixing St. John's wort with SSRIs, and all SSRIs need to be discontinued gradually. Here is one study that compares Perika to Paxil at up to 1800 mg: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=552808&tool=pmcentrez

schatzi891

Greta or anyone...

Does SC27 help more or is better than Kira for anxiety & depression? Just wondering why you're switching from Kira?

Thanks for your time,

Sylvia :)

greta7

Hi Sylvia,

When I decided to try SC27 a month ago it was more of an experiment. While I was finding Kira helpful, it was maybe only like 60-70% helpful. The days when I crashed (unable to get out of bed, bad depression etc.) were less frequent but they were so very not fun I knew I had to try something else. After a bad day I was considering finally heading to the doctor for an SSRI - but thought I would try New Chapter SC27 first. I mean I know life happens. My search has always just been for something to keep me from falling so deeply into that dark hole. Or if I do fall in to keep me from staying there too long. So I have found the New Chapter SC27 to be more helpful for that during the day. During the evening I still take 1 Kira pill (300mg). Relating to Sheephead's post earlier about the difference between hypercin and hyperforin, it may be be because SC27 is standardized more to hyperforin and Kira more to hypercin? Who knows. But by taking the SC27 in the morning, I have found it more like 80-85% helpful. I do think each person reacts differently depending on what kind of depression or anxiety they have. So to conclude, I think it is helpful to experiment; gathering plenty of information about the remedy first, and then with plenty of time given to each remedy so that you know how well it's working for you.
Good luck.

schatzi891

I'm seriously thinking about going off the SJW, since I keep experiencing anxiety with it...and I'm taking the calming Kira brand. As I posted on another thread, I must be very, very sensitive to any kind of stimulants and it does make me crazy when I have these internal tremors.

Is the anxiety something that eventually goes away with the Kira or is it just going to keep making me crazy? Gosh I don't know what to do anymore, other than just taking some other supplements like Gaba and Tryptophan. Just would like to know what actually helps with depression AND anxiety...

Thanks for your time,

greta7

Hi Sylvia,

I know it can feel frustrating. I've been there. It's hard to know when to take a remedy a little longer, especially when the side-effects are too overwhelming. To be more specific about how SC27 works for me: oddly, it does not contribute as much to anxiety for me as the Kira. This might appear to go against the whole hypercin/hyperforin theory. But rather, SC27 really made me feel very "hyped-up" when I switched over too it, yet not in an anxious way. More like "giddy," which is maybe where this hyperforin theory comes from. SC27 gives me more "positive energy" but allows my mind to quiet down enough that I stop the incessant worrying. It makes me feel a little more carefree, which is really not like me. I have actually heard this is a similar feeling to prescription SSRI?s. Kira makes me feel calmer (tired actually) and less depressed but sometimes does make me feel anxious. At which time I usually pair it with a large cup of chamomile tea. And it's why I?ve limited myself to only 300mg and take it in the evening.
Anyway, your gut feeling to stop the Kira and just stay on the other remedies seems plenty wise to me. I had side-effects (much too giddy) when I switched over to SC27 but put up with it for a full two weeks to see if it away, and it did. If it hadn't, I think I would have stopped. Most argue for trying Kira for a full month, it?s also what is stated on the box. But I agree, anxiety is a truly uncomfortable feeling to suffer through.
Lastly, I wanted to mention the New Chapter website: www.newchapter.info
They have numerous remedies. Maybe you might find one there that helps. Early on I tried their Holy Basil and did find it calming.
Also, you mentioned you are in a difficult situation right now... as Sheephead mentioned, talk therpay might help. I add it because this is when I myself decided to go, during a difficult situation for which I needed some perspective (other than friends and family).
Good luck to you.

schatzi891

Hi Greta & everyone...

Giddy sounds good to me right about now...I could use some giddy. :dance:

Seriously though, by giddy do you mean just laughing a lot and/or feeling up and happy?

Do you think the SC27 makes one as anxious as Kira? I know they say that Kira is the mellower one, but I'm telling you my anxiety levels go up and get very uncomfortable when I take it.

I'm kind of experimenting with different supplements at the moment as I think a lot of my problem is just plain anxiety with a dose of depression in there, but not too bad.

I find the more I can keep the anxiety at bay, the clearer I think and feel. When I'm anxious I go through being irritable, crying spells and just snappy in general and am constantly focused on my anxiety. Hate it and I'm sure the people around me do as well.

So I'm on my never ending journey to find the right "natural" Lexapro...

Wish me Luck!

And Thanks,

greta7

Sylvia,

I guess by giddy (as a side-effect) I mean "oddly" happy and feeling like I'd had 2 large cups of coffee. Kind of like being on "uppers" (what ever that feels like?) But I did notice that the anxiety and depression were gone. So when the "giddy" effect went away after about a week and a half I - so far - have only been left with the anxiety and depression being gone, without the jumpy feeling. I have had good luck with SC27 so I have no reservation recommending it if you are ready to give something else a try. I know we all react differently. Hopefully you'll find a mix that works well. I always want to add as an aside though that I think the psychotherapy in conjunction with sjw has been especially helpful... :wink:

Query

What is SC27? Do any of you get bad cases of anxiety from just using St. John's Wort? One of you said that you have mixed anxiety/depression episodes but the anxiety is the real difficult part of the problem. That sounds just like me.

knifey

schatzi891;8023 said:
I'm seriously thinking about going off the SJW, since I keep experiencing anxiety with it...and I'm taking the calming Kira brand. As I posted on another thread, I must be very, very sensitive to any kind of stimulants and it does make me crazy when I have these internal tremors.

Is the anxiety something that eventually goes away with the Kira or is it just going to keep making me crazy? Gosh I don't know what to do anymore, other than just taking some other supplements like Gaba and Tryptophan. Just would like to know what actually helps with depression AND anxiety...

Thanks for your time,

I'm taking SJW just for anxiety.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't taken it personally but hubby has been on it for several years for anxiety.
It messes with his libido (lowers it) but otherwise he is mostly his old self before anxiety too over.
It might be worth noting though if no one has mentioned it that antidepressants (http://www.rx-discountcoupons.com/pharmacies/sale-pharm-com/ ) can make you feel temporarily worse for few weeks before actually stabilizing.
I would definitely be seeing a psych or counselor as well who can do coping techniques with you.