• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

The dawn of a new day

I've had depression for a long time. I was desperate for an answer, and did not want to have to take prescription medicines because i can't even afford to GO to the doctor to get the prescriptions in the first place, and because i don't like what i hear about side effects. I did actually take Zoloft briefly a few years ago and i hated it. I was in a fog of sleepyness constantly and i was too sleepy to tell if it helped my depression at all. Anyway, yesterday i was just miserable. I had yelled at my young children all day long for the 5th day in a row, and felt awful for that. So then i would bawl. I was upset at the example of absolutely NO coping skills that i was showing my kids. I could not get a grip on it and just felt like completely shutting down. Really words can't express, but i am sure many of you know what i am talking about. Anyway, searching the web for some help, i came across this forum and began to read, to my amazement, that over the counter non-traditional medicines could really help people! I first read mostly the SJW threads, but it became clear that maybe 5-htp, which i'd never even heard of before, might actually be the thing for me. I have suffered (or more accurately, my family and friends have suffered) from PMDD for several years. I thought very expensive treatments were the only hope for that disorder, and i couldn't afford to treat it, so it went unchecked. I'd also had insomnia, and just general depression for as long as i could remember. I wiped the tears off of my face, loaded the kids up and went to HEB. On the bottom shelf, quite unassuming and small, was a bottle of Natrol brand 5-htp 100 mg. capsules. I bought it, and some vitamins, and came home and took one capsule before i went to work last night, unsure of what to expect since i had read that it seems like it kinda hits different people different ways. Within 20 minutes i felt myself calm down. I'm not kidding. For the first time in quite a while, i felt calm and a little more in control of my emotions. I went to bed after work and slept really well except for when my son woke me up at 3 a.m. On a side note, i don't understand all the talk about dreamless sleep. I was taught that everyone dreams almost all night long but that you only remember the dreams you awaken in the middle of. This has always seemed to be true for me. I don't understand why the thought of dreamless sleep is so upsetting either. But anyway, I took another 100 mg this morning and i am still feeling better than i have in a long time. I am a tiny bit light headed, but not even as much as when i take a sudafed. I may buy a bottle of 50 mg capsules to have on hand as well, in case i want to take less. But i just wanted to say that this feels like it may work for me. I say it cautiously, but with hope. So far so good. Just to have a little relief is so nice. I actually did cry this morning, but it was only for a second and over something that a normal person would cry over. I haven't barked at my kids one time, and have actually laughed quite a bit today. WOW. :p

Bella,

Good for you!!! I really applaud you for what you have done. You've gone with your gut instinct and tried something that you thought might work for you. I really hope that you continue to get good results with 5HTP.

Sheephead. :smile:

Bella

Thanks Sheephead! Well it's day 6 and still doing ok. I have maintained a pretty even temperment and look forward to feeling depression lessen even more in coming weeks, if this works for me. I want to start taking evening primrose oil, but wonder if anyone can tell me how much i should take? I also take a multivitamin. I wonder if Gingko would be good to take as well, but again, i don't know how much or if it is a good idea to add it to the mix. Anyone have suggestions?

srevell

Hi Bella,

SJW may take as long as 6 - 8 weeks to get maximal effect. Why not wait that long before adding anything else.

Steve

may need to up my dosage

Hi! well i do think i have slept better, but i'm not sure i'm out of the woods with depression. i wonder if i should take a higher dosage. i have only been taking 100mg at night before bed because it still seems to make me pretty sleepy and i can't function like that in the daytime. i probably should be taking it in the daytime, but i don't know how to counter that tiredness effectively. i did start taking evening primrose oil too, to help with pmdd, but i think i must not be taking enough of that either. i have awful cramps as we speak. gonna try to figure out how i can take higher doses of these supplements if possible.:wobblyeyes:

Bella;9048 said:
Hi! well i do think i have slept better, but i'm not sure i'm out of the woods with depression. i wonder if i should take a higher dosage. i have only been taking 100mg at night before bed because it still seems to make me pretty sleepy and i can't function like that in the daytime. i probably should be taking it in the daytime, but i don't know how to counter that tiredness effectively. i did start taking evening primrose oil too, to help with pmdd, but i think i must not be taking enough of that either. i have awful cramps as we speak. gonna try to figure out how i can take higher doses of these supplements if possible.:wobblyeyes:
Bella,

It's a few seeks since you started taking 5HTP and you seem to have had partial success with it, but are still experiencing some depression. Do you think this might be a good time to try SJW? I'm just wondering whether rather than ramping up your existing dosage of 5HTP, you could add a small amount (300mg) of Perika or Kira SJW to your daily regimen and see if that helps with the depression.

Sheephead. :smile:

robertz

Hi there Bella,

If you feel too sleepy, reduce the dosage. If your are currently taking 100mg, take 50mg at least twice a day (morning and evening). You can further increase the antidepressant effects of 5-HTP by adding L-Tyrosine to the mix. I would first try 250mg (half capsule) L-Tyrosine first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and see what happens. I usually combine L-Tyrosine with 5-HTP because that way you rise dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, the tree major neurotransmistters involved in depression. If you just take 5-HTP you are depleting the catecholamines (dopamine and norepinephrine).

Good luck,