• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Switch to Zoloft or switch to Perika?

900 mgs

Hi all,

Noticed that a lot of people were not taking the recommended dosage of perika and didn't understand why. It says on the package to take one pill, three times a day, with meals. I've taken up to double that dosage at different times and had good results.

Also, taking perika with plenty of water is also good. I suggest augmenting this routine with some kind of high end Omega 3 tablets and a vitamin B complex for the ultra-depressed.

Hope this helps.

greta7

Hi,

Good point arniegrape... I was going to switch over to Perika and increase to the 3-pill-a-day dose but for some reason it was giving me headaches that come on in the evening. Kira brand also gave me headaches (they finally went away). But I have been so crabby lately that I couldn't take them this time and didn't have it in me to stick it out. You mentioned taking a much higher dose (like 900mg). I think I am going to try kicking the SC27 up to 2 pills a day.

re: 900 mgs

Hi again:

I noticed you said you were experiencing some heavy duty side-effects with the SJW, which I have never heard of before (outside of the initial start up period), but I think it's also worth noting--just in reference to the efficacy of SJW--that sticking with one brand which works for you is important. Maybe you are still trying to figure out which brand works best right now.

At some point, I inexplicably switched from Perkia, which I had been taking for years, to HBC Protocols SJW, another reputable brand (which everybody said was the best, etc etc), and it did not work for me at all. It was, however, some bit cheaper. But the main point being, finding the right formula and dose is key.

If you're still getting headaches, I know Nature's Way, who makes Perika, makes a standardized formulation of SJW, which I started off with, and which may be somewhat "weaker" or less abrasive. http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Standardized-St-Johns-Wort

Hope this helps.

SJW with 5-HTP and/or Tyrosine

Hey greta,

Just wanted to write and let you know that yes, SJW can be taken with 5-HTP or Tyrosine OR Both. I know of many people who have done this, myself included and had great results, otherwise I'm sure there must be other people in the forum who have had good results.

In the end it's worth seeing how you get on, if you do decide to take it.
Remember though:
If you don't sleep much, don't feel tired, feel anxious, get really irritable, chances are it's low Serotonin and 5-HTP will help.

5-HTP - Start at 25mg, or 50mg about 1-2 hours before bed taken with a small snack and water. Some people go up to 100mg or more. It should help within 1-3 nights if it is the issue.
If it keeps you up, chance are the dosage was too much, try a little less.

------

If you sleep too much, or sleep and then don't feel rested. Seem zapped of energy all day, Chances are it's Dopamine/NorEp and Tyrosine will help.

Tyrosine - Start with 250mg or 500mg, taken in the MORNING on an empty stomach with water. NO Coffee until at least 30 minutes later, if you have to (due to jitters). If you do not feel much after 30min, this may be a hint you are low, try another 250-500mg.

SOME Other reasons people get jitters from Tyrosine because:
1. They started with too much.
2. They may not need it (although if low energy is your problem, it is most likely #1.)

Some people need both 5-HTP and Tyrosine
, but as a very basic guideline the sleep issue can give you a big clue.

In my humble opinion, it is absolutely not worth giving up on SJW until you have tried 5-HTP or Tyrosine to see if you need fuel to get your brain going...Personally 5-HTP was incredible for sleep and calming racing thoughts, and Tyrosine is great for energy, both usually work in a few days....

Finally, if you can find something called Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (The Active form of Vitamin B6) you would make all the whole process easier on your body. It really helps. At the bare minimum though try a good Vitamin B-25mg, or B-50mg Complex.

Take Care,
RH

Chronic Depression relief

My mother suffers from chronic depression and has tried her entire life to combat it. I wonder if depression is partially genetic, or if it is a combination of many things. The best thing that I have ever found for combating depression is meditation exercise, since I started meditating and doing deep breathing exercises, my depression has gone into recession lol, and im much happier. When I sit and mediate or do deep breathing practices that I learned at Do Yi Taoist retreat in New Jersey, I immediately feel more aware and calm. Therefore, I make better decisions and am less likely to beat my self up and judge myself over making mistakes that arise form confusion and emotional ignorance. Thank god for the movie Avatar, I actually wondered what this word meant, so I googled it. I found the definition for Avatar in Wikepedia: In Hinduism, Avatar or Avatara (Devanagari) , Sanskrit for "descent" [viz., from heaven to earth]) refers to a deliberate descent of a deity from heaven to earth, and is mostly translated into English as "incarnation", but more accurately as "appearance" or "manifestation".[1]

The term is most often associated with Vishnu, though it has also come to be associated with other deities.[2] Varying lists of avatars of Vishnu appear in Hindu scriptures, including the ten of the Garuda Purana and the twenty-two avatars in the Bhagavata Purana, though the latter adds that the incarnations of Vishnu are innumerable.[3] The avatars of Vishnu are a primary component of Vaishnavism. An early reference to avatar, and to avatar doctrine, is in the Bhagavad Gita.[4]

Shiva and Ganesha are also described as descending in the form of avatars. The various manifestations of Devi, the Divine Mother principal in Hinduism, are also described as avatars or incarnations by some scholars and followers of Shaktism.[4][5] The avatars of Vishnu carry a greater theological prominence than those of other deities, which some scholars perceive to be imitative of the Vishnu avatar lists.

After reading this, I decided to read Bagavad Ghita, the ancient Indian Classic. I became much more interested in meditation, yoga, and other types of self cultivation.
I am much more connected into the universe and feel a deep sense of purpose. When I feel connected to this new found deep sense of purpose, it is almost impossible to be depressed because im happy about my life and my understanding of my self. Through deep breathing practices and keeping me body clean internally, I am able to regulate my emotions better, without the use of anti-depresents. Im saving money on medications that I no longer need and im not drinking alcohol of smoking pot because I get so high off of the increased oxygen I get from deep breathing. I found some interesting information about depression http://bioprin.posterous.com/?page=2 Deep breathing techniques and meditations were taught to mankind by the ?Avatars? of antiquity. Breathing is one of the most effective ways to detoxify the body. I have always had really good results with deep breathing exercise. There is a practice called Qi Gong form China that is great and easy and effective. I read this other blogg that had some interesting facts about deep
breathing...http://bioprin.posterous.com/tag/breathing?it is well written and there are some other things on it that i found useful including Tao Salt. I used this stuff called Tao Salt form JBNI when I quit smoking and it really helped with breaking up the tar in my lungs, I could actually feel it as soon as I started to take it. There are some really entertaining opinions posted, and I have been following these guys for a while.

I hope that whoever reads this comment seriously takes into consideration some yoga or meditation or martial arts as an alternative to toxic anti depressant drugs, alcohol, and other abused substances.