• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

SJW and alcohol

hello,

I'm new to this site and also never taken sjw or any other antidepressants either prescribed or herbal so before I take the leap and start the sjw capsuals I've bought I would like to ask a few things. Sorry if this has all been asked before.

Brief background: I've been suffering from anxiety/OCD and depression for around 3 years. After both my parents being taking in to hospital at the same time with life threatening illness I had a, what I can only describe as a breakdown. I contacted my dr who prescribed me a short course of diazepam. I took it and not only did it calm me down it made me feel normal and gave me an insight as to what life could be like it I took medication longer term, however I do not want to take prescription medication so I'm going to try sjw first. Thing is I enjoy wine. I do not drink to excess, I may have 1/2 a bottle of wine once twice a week and on rare occasion 1 bottle of friends are round. I've heard horo stories regarding sjw and alcohol and how it causes life threatening high blood pressure as well as eating chocolate. Is this true? I'm now way dependant on alcohol but I do really enjoy it so would be a shame to deny myself.....Also it states on some websites it's a Maio which I believe is now. It considered a safe form of antidepressant? Is this true. Finally on the short term (only have 10 x 2mg left) is it ok to still take my diazepam when needed?

Thanks in advance

kelly

Administrator
Staff member
hello,
Thing is I enjoy wine. I do not drink to excess, I may have 1/2 a bottle of wine once twice a week and on rare occasion 1 bottle of friends are round. I've heard horo stories regarding sjw and alcohol and how it causes life threatening high blood pressure as well as eating chocolate. Is this true?
No I don't believe this to be true. For myself and many people I've talked to, alcohol in moderation and chocolate won't give you any issues with St. John's Wort. I drink more you than you do and beer is my preference. And I eat chocolate pretty much every day, too often in fact and I could lose a few pounds if I cut back on both of those and other guilty pleasures. I wouldn't worry about high blood pressure at all. If you want to go that extra mile you could monitor your blood pressure daily to see if there's much difference before/after to prove to yourself it's really not an issue at all.

It is natural to feel anxious when trying something new, and most of the reports I've seen over the years where someone's heart is racing almost immediately after taking St. John's Wort are because they were very nervous and expected immediate results. You need to give it a week or two to really start working and they say it can take 4-6 weeks for some people apparently.

hello,
I'm now way dependant on alcohol but I do really enjoy it so would be a shame to deny myself.....Also it states on some websites it's a Maio which I believe is now. It considered a safe form of antidepressant? Is this true. Finally on the short term (only have 10 x 2mg left) is it ok to still take my diazepam when needed?
St. John's Wort is very safe, much safer than many prescription antidepressants and with fewer side effects. It's available over the counter in many countries and could only be so readily available in so many parts of the world by being known as a safe herb. The same cannot be said for all sorts of dangerous prescription drugs... and while most of the antidepressants aren't dangerous the side effects and questionable long-term effects on our bodies are what brought many of us to seek out natural alternatives.

In rare cases you could have an allergic reaction. And there are other minor side effects you can read about in other parts of this site too that some people experience, like being a little more sensitive to sunlight. But even that one tends to diminish over time especially for people who have taken SJW for years and years like me.

I'm interested to hear if you start taking SJW and if you notice any difference at all. It's not a MAOI the way certain prescription drugs are dangerous when combined with certain foods, causing extreme reactions.

Thank you very much for your reply..

I'm having a few glasses of wine tonight and planning to start the sjw tomorrow and lay of any alcohol for a while just until I get used to it. As I said I've never been on any antidepressants before so I want to ensure I give the sjw the best go and give myself the best chance of a positive reaction/outcome. I think I'll find taking the first tablet very difficult, it's a scary thought and I'll know it's gonna be a anxious morning But fingers crossed I'll go ahead with it. Also it says to take 3 a day. Am I best to start with the 3 a day straight off or build up to 3 a day?

Thanks again

kelly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you very much for your reply..

I'm having a few glasses of wine tonight and planning to start the sjw tomorrow and lay of any alcohol for a while just until I get used to it. As I said I've never been on any antidepressants before so I want to ensure I give the sjw the best go and give myself the best chance of a positive reaction/outcome. I think I'll find taking the first tablet very difficult, it's a scary thought and I'll know it's gonna be a anxious morning But fingers crossed I'll go ahead with it. Also it says to take 3 a day. Am I best to start with the 3 a day straight off or build up to 3 a day?
Thanks again
It's safe to start with 3/day but not required. Being a little anxious you might as well build up to it... it will give your body time to adjust and the only downside is that it will take a little longer to get the full effect. If you like you can just take 1/day for a few days, then 2/day for a few more days or even a week, and then go to 3/day and stay there for a few weeks. I really hope it works for you, and good luck!