• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

side effects

Eye damage

Hallo,

just curious, how could it be that there are too few posts about eye damage from SJW in internet, although it is in vitro studied that it realy damages retina ?
I have very experience with hypericin. My eyes were damaged from 90% to 50%, when I was taking it and looked at bright sky for approximately 2 minutes.

Regards

Acme

Epyx

Acme;8665 said:
Hallo,

just curious, how could it be that there are too few posts about eye damage from SJW in internet, although it is in vitro studied that it realy damages retina ?
I have very experience with hypericin. My eyes were damaged from 90% to 50%, when I was taking it and looked at bright sky for approximately 2 minutes.

Regards

Acme
Acme, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. But I don't see how this is possible. You can't lose 40% of your vision in 2 minutes because of hypericin! It takes much longer than that for photoactivation to occur. Perhaps there are some more details to your story?

srevell

Hi Acme,

I remember reading in a medical journal about the association of catacts with SJW, but do not recall every having read about retinal damage before.

Steve

Hallo,

thank you Epix. I am also not sure why could that happen, but only one what I remember that could damage my eyes was seeing the bright sky for appr. 2 minutes. In that time I was under Hypericin.
Maybe the couse my vision problems is something another. I will clarify this in 2 weeks, because I am going to visit some good ophtalmologists.
I thought about Hypericin, as I have read the following articles in internet:
http://abstracts.iovs.org/cgi/content/abstract/44/5/304
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2092452
http://www.egms.de/de/meetings/dog2004/04dog677.shtml

Thank you

Acme

Hallo,

I went to ophthalmologists, they found nothing special. My vision has been improved to 80%. I do not know what can it be, but nevertheless recommend to protect the eyes while taking SJW from bright light !

Regards

Acme

Epyx

Acme, this is good news. I hope your vision continues to improve! It would be satisfying if you could find an explanation for this, but it sounds like that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Joe749

Scary--I hope it's not right

I'm about to lose my job--the layoff was inevitable and will take effect on July 1.

There are two things that seem to have helped me keep going: sailing and SJW. (Well, that's unfair to my loving but independent wife and my family, but certainly SJW has helped me and sailing has been my passion for most of my life.)

So, now I learn, perhaps, that the two are in conflict.

I've been taking 3 doses of Kira ever since I discovered it on this board--and it's helped me return to an even keel with my moods. Now, at last, my boat is in the water and I get a chance to sail--and expect to do more during my unemployment.

I always wear a hat, sunblock and high-quality sunglasses. But am I risking losing my eyesight because of the two main crutches in my life? Please say it ain't so.

--Joe

Epyx

Joe749;8892 said:
I always wear a hat, sunblock and high-quality sunglasses. But am I risking losing my eyesight because of the two main crutches in my life? Please say it ain't so.
Keep taking SJW, Joe. There is some small theoretical risk of corneal damage due to hypericin photoactivation, but this is managed in the ways that you are doing. On top of that, I can't recall a single case of eye damage on this forum (not saying it doesn't exist, just that it's extremely rare if it does happen).

David

I agree with Epyx, but would like to add, that as far as I remember (and if you search very hard for it in the archives, I am sure I posted it there) the foundation research for the SJW=Photosensitivity issue was actually a study done on cattle who grazed on the actual plant on an almost continuous basis and therefore were ingesting an awful lot more than 999mg a day!

If a person not taking SJW stays in the direct sunlight for sometimes even more than 30 minutes (depending on skin type and location in the world) without any protection, they will get burnt. Same goes for anyone taking SJW.

I wear sunglasses in the sun because they were always sensitive to the sunlight anyway, and I take adequate precautions, if I know I will be outside in direct sunlight for any length of time. I was badly sunburnt when I was about 15 and swore it would never happen again!

Acme

Vision

Hallo everybody,

my vision again is about 60% ! I suppose, that lately I worked with computer like always.
I had all time of my life 100% of vision. In January of 2009 my vision because of SJW (my opinion) got 60%. After that there was improve of my vision to 80%, because I made some trainings and helped my vision with bigger accomodation, and my eyes were all this time tired. The last worsening of vision is because of overexertion of my eyes.
I read or worked with compiter all the time that I had 80% not more then usual.
I have met one person who had the same problems because of SJW. That person had always 100% of vision. After taking of SJW in minimal dosage during 2 Months, going outside without sunglasses and once looking on the bright sky (not sun, the sun was approximately 45 degree at the left of looking direction) during mximum 20 seconds, the vision is 90%. So, 10% less.
One thing stops me to say that SJW make blind eyes: I could not meet enough people with same results of vision loss ! But the research study in vitro indeed said (as I wrote before) that Hypericin destroys RPE cells of eyes !

How can it be ?! Everybody takes it ?! The question of my life lately !

Thank you

Acme

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,
Im new here, and started taking SJW just a week ago, and surprinsingly Im already feeling some good effects of it. :dance:

Unfortunatelly I?ve read about the risks of cataracts and other vision diseases and now Im pretty concearned about that.:frown:

Anyway, theres some researches that state that carotenoids can prevent this kind of diseases, and the most important are Lutein and ZeaXanthin.

Google search - http://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&...lutein+zeaxanthin&spell=1&fp=3bd50432a3ab0c97

What do you guys think??

P.S.:I see this topic is very old, but I?d like to know if there is someone else who had vision problems by taking SJW.

Daniel_;10504 said:
Hi everyone,
Im new here, and started taking SJW just a week ago, and surprinsingly Im already feeling some good effects of it. :dance:

Unfortunatelly I?ve read about the risks of cataracts and other vision diseases and now Im pretty concearned about that.:frown:

Anyway, theres some researches that state that carotenoids can prevent this kind of diseases, and the most important are Lutein and ZeaXanthin.

Google search - http://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&...lutein+zeaxanthin&spell=1&fp=3bd50432a3ab0c97

What do you guys think??

P.S.:I see this topic is very old, but I?d like to know if there is someone else who had vision problems by taking SJW.
Daniel,

My advice - don't worry about it. SJW generally has a very low side-effects profile. There is a theoretical risk of certain side effects, one or two associated with the eyes, but the numbers involved are tiny and no serious links are proven. Obviously, I don't want to dismiss all side-effects issues, but I would just say keep it all in perspective. Anyway, I'm really glad SJW is working for you. It is not unusual for SJW to start working fairly quickly, so to feel some benefit within a few days is perfectly normal. Hope you continue to feel better.

Sheephead.

Thank you Sheephead! :smile:

Anyway, Im really considering taking Ocuvite Lutein with zeaxanhin, just to prevent... unfortunatelly is expensive!

Hope I continue with good results, Im taking Omega-3 and B-Vitamins (in brewer yeast) with SJW, dont know if thats the cause of fast results.

Have a nice day!

Sore eyes (and headache) is really a serious obstacle in chronic use of SJW for me - otherwise, I'd use it till the end of my days as it makes me tolerable to people around me and my life tolerable and even enjoyable to myself... if not for sore eyes and headache coming along after 30 days since the start of each course after extensive wash-out period.

I live in St. Petersburg, Russia, it's really a northern city with very few sunny days. But eyes get sore anyway, even during subpolar 'dark days'.

Florana here made me think about the effect of casual artificial lighting also contributing to the problem, I started to pay attention to the cause-effect in particular moments of time... I came to a conclusion it really contributes - for example, I start feeling worse (sore eyes, headache) exactly when wondering around overlighted (as usual) malls, or in the office when some (phobic?) person switched all the lights max on. I also tried to analyze retrospective material and confirmed my primary hypothesis - yes, even the artificial light, esp. when bright, make the eyes sore and the head ache when deep into the course of SJW.

That's sad.
I ordered New Chapter St. John's SC27
http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-herbal-formulas/st-johns-sc27#product-information
as they clain it to be rich in hyperforin, also people got info it's made from Flavex' CO2 extract and Flavex clain it to be hypericin-free
http://www.flavex.com/en/naturextrakte/products/details/artikel/johanniskraut-co2-to-extrakt-10-hyperforine/
USPS brought it to Russia and got it customs-cleared in 6 days but it's almost a week I wait it to be delivered to me from there so I can't report any experience with it yet.

That's my last hope...

Christle

hyperwind;12373 said:
Sore eyes (and headache) is really a serious obstacle in chronic use of SJW for me - otherwise, I'd use it till the end of my days as it makes me tolerable to people around me and my life tolerable and even enjoyable to myself... if not for sore eyes and headache coming along after 30 days since the start of each course after extensive wash-out period.

I live in St. Petersburg, Russia, it's really a northern city with very few sunny days. But eyes get sore anyway, even during subpolar 'dark days'.

Florana here made me think about the effect of casual artificial lighting also contributing to the problem, I started to pay attention to the cause-effect in particular moments of time... I came to a conclusion it really contributes - for example, I start feeling worse (sore eyes, headache) exactly when wondering around overlighted (as usual) malls, or in the office when some (phobic?) person switched all the lights max on. I also tried to analyze retrospective material and confirmed my primary hypothesis - yes, even the artificial light, esp. when bright, make the eyes sore and the head ache when deep into the course of SJW.

That's sad.
I ordered New Chapter St. John's SC27
http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-herbal-formulas/st-johns-sc27#product-information
as they clain it to be rich in hyperforin, also people got info it's made from Flavex' CO2 extract and Flavex clain it to be hypericin-free
http://www.flavex.com/en/naturextra.../johanniskraut-co2-to-extrakt-10-hyperforine/
USPS brought it to Russia and got it customs-cleared in 6 days but it's almost a week I wait it to be delivered to me from there so I can't report any experience with it yet.

That's my last hope...
I want to suggest something
I had the same problem with my eyes related to SJW.
But I am using Flonase Nasal Spray is used for allergies,
I noticed that I have no longer sore eyes or head with SJW.
Maybe that can help you.
I have to say that I discovered this by accident!
because my doctor gave me flonase for my allergies,
I did not think that would help me with the eyes and head pain
But so was at least for me.At least I think I do not know if I'm wrong:rosiecheeks:
My eyes are still a little dry but not so bad.
Have a nice day

Christle;12374 said:
I noticed that I have no longer sore eyes or head with SJW.
Have a nice day
You were still taking the same amount of SJW, same brand - everything the same, but you got relief from sore eyes exactly after spraying Flonase into your nose?

Christle

hyperwind;12376 said:
You were still taking the same amount of SJW, same brand - everything the same, but you got relief from sore eyes exactly after spraying Flonase into your nose?
Yeah, something like that.
I use flonase and on the first day noticed a difference.
But of course, still I have sensitivity to sunlight or artificial light. (TV, lights).
My eyes feel dry and tired more than usual
I have always to wear sunglasses when I go out.
But is not that sharp pain in the eyes and head. no anymore.
It is certainly much more soft and manageable.

I have a question someone is losing hair?
I losing a lot of my hair:eek:

Anyway, I use the brand Perika
I started slowly early days only 300mg
600mg after
and now I take 900 mg

bran319

Hey Hyperwind-

I take SC27, and unlike standard preparations of SJW, it doesn't cause me any photosensitivity issues; it really is a great product. Good luck!

Also I can totally relate to SJW making you tolerable to the people around you! LOL

bran319;12387 said:
Hey Hyperwind-

I take SC27, and unlike standard preparations of SJW, it doesn't cause me any photosensitivity issues; it really is a great product. Good luck!

Also I can totally relate to SJW making you tolerable to the people around you! LOL
Thank you! Now I wait for SC27 even more impatiently!

Christle

I am very happy because I have not even sun sensitivity.
Yesterday work in the garden
does not affect me at all the bright sun.
Today I walk my dog ​​and so far so good.
it seems that my body was adjusted finally to the SJW
The only thing that keeps bothering me is the 'hair loss
Good luck to all and have a good day.