1. Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.
    Dismiss Notice

L-Tryptophan and St. John's Wort?

Discussion in '5-HTP, CBD, CEBT Therapy, SAM-e, Rhodiola, books' started by Fast Heart Mart, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Fast Heart Mart

Fast Heart Mart New Member

Hi! Does anyone here know if taking L-Tryptophan with St. John's Wort can cause bad interactions? I ask because I have been taking ST.John's Wort for about 2 weeks now. I think it is helping, but I could still use some help with my sleep. I get to sleep fine, I just can't seem to STAY asleep. This article seems compelling for in favor of taking L-Tryptophan for sleep:
    http://dominatedepression.com/secret-combination-supplements-knock-you-out/

I plan on taking the Holy Basil, but I'm not sure I should take the L-Tryptophan while I'm taking the ST. John's Wort? I take my SJW in the morning and I would take the L-Tryptophan before bed, if that makes any difference?

I know I saw it on here somewhere, but what about taking St John's Wort with 5 HTP? Is that ok? Or?

Thanks for any help :)

2. TheMike

TheMike New Member

Hi,

So this reply is rather late in coming, but I thought I'd give it a go just in case. I know of people who have had good results with L-Tryptophan and St John's Wort, although many need to also supplement L-Tyrosine as well to balance the L-Tryptophan. This is true for 5 HTP as well, need to balance it I mean. If a person notices anxiety increasing, especially after meals, that's a sign of needing Tyrosine. Best to start small and work up. I myself open capsules and take a fraction at a time, something that's fine as long as it's not a slow-release pill. As for 5-HTP vs. L-tryptophan, I only had good experiences with a single brand of 5 HTP and they seem to have changed something so I switched to L-Tryptophan. That lasted less than a week before I was a total basket case and now I'm back to the 5 HTP. It appears my old brand was more dilute, so I cut my dosage down to less than half and it works better than the Tryptophan.

To answer your other question, I've had much better results with 5 HTP and L-Tyrosine and take it along with St. John's Wort, which I've been for about 8 years. It may well take a lot of trial and error to find the dosages for everything, best to start small and work up to avoid serotonin syndrome etc. Once you get balanced in the neurotransmitter dept. you might start sleeping better.

I hope you've had some good results. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. Botvinnik

Botvinnik New Member

I am newcomer here and not native English speaker, so I apologize if something is wrong with my post.
    Thank you for sharing your experience and informations which are helpful for me. I am taking St John’s Wort and 5 HTP for two weeks now and I already see light at the end of the tunnel . Now experimenting L-Tyrosine and L-Tryptophan to see..
    It seems that L-Tyrosine even at small doses (100 mg) is troubling (mild physical anxiety and confusion during the day) . I stopped it today to see... perhaps my body just needs some time to adapt but I want to be sure it’s L-Tyrosine ( I’ve taken L-Tryptophan at 200mg one night before )

Peace

4. TheMike

TheMike New Member

Hi,

I'm glad it sounds like things might be getting better for you.

If the L-Tyrosine is creating anxiety some people find it helpful to open the capsule and take smaller amounts, such as just 25% of the capsule at a time.

Also, you may not need tyrosine until you've been taking the 5 htp for about 6 weeks. At that time it may be your body will change and then you will need L-Tyrosine.

Personally, I find 5 htp better than tryptophan, it might be best to only use 5 htp as doing too many different things at first can be confusing because it can be hard to tell what supplement is causing what symptoms.

If you have trouble translating anything I said feel free to ask questions. :)

Botvinnik likes this.
  5. Botvinnik

Botvinnik New Member

Thank you for your kind words
    You are right, I should be patient to see how every supplement works individually.
    By the way, impatience is what caused my condition ( endless impatient work) ☺️
    Thank so much