1. Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Is tyrosine necessary if you take 5htp long-term?

Discussion in '5-HTP, CBD, CEBT Therapy, SAM-e, Rhodiola, books' started by user00, May 2, 2012.

1. user00

user00 New Member

Will 5htp eventually stop working if I don't take tyrosine? I can't take tyrosine because even at low doses it gives me horrible migraines. Is there something else I could take instead of tyrosine as a substitute?

2. robertz

robertz Senior Member

It won't stop working for everyone. But Michael Murray N.D, author of a book about 5-htp, shows a study by Van Praag and C. Lemus that indicates that in about one patient out of five that responded to 5-HTP the benefits started to decrease after a month or so of treatment. They found that giving patients L-tyrosine or L-phenylalanine restored the effects of 5-HTP.

In my experience, 5-HTP does not work for me anymore if I don't take L-tyrosine. And L-tyrosine just makes me jittery and aggressive if I don't take 5-HTP. The bottom line is that if you only increase one of the monoamine precursors, the other one will decrease and you'll feel bad.

You need to find out which is the correct dose FOR YOU. Don't listen to anyone, you need to do some trial and error. What works best for me is 1000mg of L-Tyrosine and just 50mg of 5-HTP.

3. depressionheat

depressionheat New Member

has anyone here used all 4 of these supps together: 5htp, tyrosine, st johns and rhodiola?? or would that be total overkill?
    ive been experimenting a bit with all 4 but havent done all 4 for extended periods.