1. Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Is RR an MAO inhibitor?

Discussion in '5-HTP, CBD, CEBT Therapy, SAM-e, Rhodiola, books' started by BlahBlah, Apr 11, 2011.

1. BlahBlah

BlahBlah New Member

If it is how strong of an inhibitor is it?

How have you gained this knowledge is there any scientific evidence?

I need to know because im starting strattera which says I can't take it with an MAO inhibitor.

2. BlahBlah

BlahBlah New Member

To answer my own question for anybody else who wonders...

It is an MAO inhibitor and no I did not find this on any random site:read:

The article:

Abstract
    AIM OF THE STUDY: Rhodiola rosea L. (Crassulaceae) is traditionally used in Eastern Europe and Asia to stimulate the nervous system, enhance physical and mental performance, treat fatigue, psychological stress and depression. In order to investigate the influence of Rhodiola rosea L. roots on mood disorders, three extracts were tested against monoamine oxidases (MAOs A and B) in a microtitre plate bioassay.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Methanol and water extracts gave the highest inhibitory activity against MAOs. Twelve compounds were then isolated by bioassay-guided fractionation using chromatographic methods. The structures were determined by 1H, 13C NMR and HR-MS.

RESULTS: The methanol and water extracts exhibited respectively inhibitions of 92.5% and 84.3% on MAO A and 81.8% and 88.9% on MAO B, at a concentration of 100 microg/ml. The most active compound (rosiridin) presented an inhibition over 80% on MAO B at a concentration of 10(-5) M (pIC50=5.38+/-0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: The present investigation demonstrates that Rhodiola rosea L. roots have potent anti-depressant activity by inhibiting MAO A and may also find application in the control of senile dementia by their inhibition of MAO B.

Site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19168123

Hope it helps someone;)

3. NewHope

NewHope New Member

Thanks BlahBlah. This is really important to know, IMHO. I just started trying some this week after researching some discussion here and elsewhere, and this isn't really frequently noted, nor is it really clear how strong of a class it is in the MAOI's, but this makes it sound pretty potent:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19168123

There are not label cautions on any of the brands at my local health food store about its MAOI effects +food interactions, but I'm still very concerned about that. I don't consume much wine or tap beer at all, but cheese and dishes containing cheeses of all kinds is a big staple in my diet, along with many of the more moderately risky foods normally cited for restrictions.

And for that reason, I'm not sure about the wisdom (for me, since I am ultra cautious of any/all meds and herbs) of combining with SJW, either,

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/st-johns-000931.htm

I would really like to take this- the benefits cited are so many, but until there are more definitive studies or more is known about its actual strength as an MAOI, I think I'm going to switch back to SJW- one of the GOOD brands recommended here in these forums. (I've taken it a long time, but not on a consistent regimen, and never the brands mentioned here).

4. PA992

PA992 New Member

According to the moderator of Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion on bluelight.ru, this evidence "is a far cry from administering it orally and having it be an effective MAOI." He also said the following.

--
    I seem to recall that rhodiola flavonoids (rosiridin etc), while they are in fact MAOIs, are micromolar as opposed to nanomolar level efficacy. So I have doubts how effective they are.

Here's a chart with figures I sourced from various bits of the internet. Clearly there are some MAOIS that are more effective than others.

[​IMG]
    --
    Smaller numbers = better.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013