• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

If we assume depression comes from negative thoughts, What can SJW do about it?

It is assumed that most depression comes from negative thoughts our beliefs about life, thats why CBT is so much used against depression.

I now for sure that I have negative thoughts about myself and I feel depressed I am on SJW for a week now. I wonder If SJW can really help me if my depression is likely caused by negative thoughts?

What are others experiences?

Here is my theory : there are at least two different forms of depression.

The Endogenous depression is genetic inherited. An individual with that predisposition is more likely to respond to stress a lot earlier and has a more profound impact on the nervous system because the stress hormones Adrenalin,noradrenalin, and cortisol are constantly released into the bloodstream. The individual will fell edgy and will have anxiety almost all waking hours . It is a chronic state of depression. SJW helps in this category because it balances out all three stress hormones so that neurotransmittors Serotonin and Dopamine (The "feel well" hormones) will have a better chance to act on the central nervous system.

The other sort is the Reactive Depression. it is a depression that occurs because of traumatic events. CBT is a useful method to treat this depression by resolving the problem that caused the stress to begin with.

I now for sure that I have negative thoughts about myself and I feel depressed I am on SJW for a week now. I wonder If SJW can really help me if my depression is likely caused by negative thoughts?
You will know in a couple of weeks. In all depressions there are negative thoughts about ourselves and even self loathing. If you find that you are not bothered by your own negative thoughts any more, you have lost the interest in pulling down yourself - If you know what I mean.

Im myself 5 weeks in SJW treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
ted86;11423 said:
It is assumed that most depression comes from negative thoughts our beliefs about life, thats why CBT is so much used against depression.

For me, talking to a counsellor about my emotions and 'life problems' was a waste of time. I don't have any major life problems to get off my chest. When I was talking about my depression in general, it only stressed me out to talk about it, not make me feel better. It was kind of awkward with me and the counsellor/psychotherapist because it felt like he just kept asking me questions which I found difficult to answer. I just had a chronic state of depression and wasted my time all day.

About 3 weeks ago I quit alcohol, tobacco, starting eating healthy and exercised nearly every day. With these things, I think I'm halfway cured. I feel a slight lift in my depression. But the major thing that these things changed was my social anxiety/general anxiety. In my mind I am not scared of communicating with people, but my body have an overwhelming urge to get out of social situations, as they were often intense and I cared too much what other people thought of me (way too much).

Now I get no physical symptoms of anxiety - no adrenaline, no shaking, no muscle tension. And because of this I actually enjoy the socializing experience. And because I'm not nervous, the people around me are not nervous. And thus they become more friendly towards you. I'm much more comfortable in myself now I'm eating healthy, exercising and quit the alcohol.

As these things have only lifted the depression a bit, I think SJW is in order for me. I'm day 4 in to it (taking 3x pure herb capsules a day), not feeling anything yet but I guess I have about another month or two before I can properly feel the effects.

I don't want to be depressed. There are no aspects about it I enjoy. I can't muster the ability or motivation to do anything, and spend most of my time staring at a computer or TV screen. Carry on with the SJW and combine it with a healthier lifestyle.

Luciiz;11426 said:
For me, talking to a counsellor about my emotions and 'life problems' was a waste of time. I don't have any major life problems to get off my chest. When I was talking about my depression in general, it only stressed me out to talk about it, not make me feel better. It was kind of awkward with me and the counsellor/psychotherapist because it felt like he just kept asking me questions which I found difficult to answer. I just had a chronic state of depression and wasted my time all day.

About 3 weeks ago I quit alcohol, tobacco, starting eating healthy and exercised nearly every day. With these things, I think I'm halfway cured. I feel a slight lift in my depression. But the major thing that these things changed was my social anxiety/general anxiety. In my mind I am not scared of communicating with people, but my body have an overwhelming urge to get out of social situations, as they were often intense and I cared too much what other people thought of me (way too much).

Now I get no physical symptoms of anxiety - no adrenaline, no shaking, no muscle tension. And because of this I actually enjoy the socializing experience. And because I'm not nervous, the people around me are not nervous. And thus they become more friendly towards you. I'm much more comfortable in myself now I'm eating healthy, exercising and quit the alcohol.

As these things have only lifted the depression a bit, I think SJW is in order for me. I'm day 4 in to it (taking 3x pure herb capsules a day), not feeling anything yet but I guess I have about another month or two before I can properly feel the effects.

I don't want to be depressed. There are no aspects about it I enjoy. I can't muster the ability or motivation to do anything, and spend most of my time staring at a computer or TV screen. Carry on with the SJW and combine it with a healthier lifestyle.
I also have social anxiety!. But you know, first I thought mainly about curing it with supplements etc. But now I know It comes from very low self-esteem. No pill can take that away I guess. But I still hope that SJW can give me a uplift in mood so I have more positive feelings while I still cope with low self-esteem.
But I actually don't believe SJW can help me..

greta7

Studies show that moderate to severe depression typically best responds to a combination of talk therapy and medication. I believe that if pharmaceutical medication yields too many uncomfortable side effects, then St. John's Wort is worth trying.

Miss M

ted86;11423 said:

Excellent question! really interested in the answers and vies of others on this one!