• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Help! It's been 14 days and things suddenly got worse.

I weaned myself off Effexor back in March. Now I've developed anxiety, along with shortness of breath which is driving me crazy and causes even more anxiety. My doctor told me to go back on the Effexor, and I really don't want to do that, so I started on SJW. I took SJW years ago for postpartum depression and it really turned me around so I felt sure it would help this time. I've also been taking a B complex, cod liver oil or krill oil, vitamin D, lemon balm capsules, and Intramax. Over the last couple of days, it seemed things were slowly improving. Two nights ago in particular. I slept through the night, no anxiety, perky in the morning, thrilled that I was over the "hump." Yesterday afternoon things started falling apart. Breathing anxiety returned, fatigue, body vibrating and it took a couple of hours to get to sleep. For the first ten days of SJW, I was using the Sundown brand, then switched to New Chapter. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I consider myself as having mild/moderate depression, but I'm getting more and more tempted to go back on the Effexor. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. The fatigue I can deal with and the anxiety I can suffer through, but the breathing anxiety is horrid. Please be gentle with your responses. It not been taking much to freak me out.

maddog

If I understand correctly, you've been taking SJW for 14 days? This is not long enough period to expect any results from SJW. What did you take between March and now? If you live in the Northern hemisphere this is the worst part of the year.

I just had a suicidal period and I hadn't had it for 3 years.

I am not sure if SJW is the best tool against anxiety, maybe you call it anxiety but it's major depression.

You have to hold on for at least another 3-4 weeks.

Thanks so much for responding! I've taken nothing since March, and yes, I've just been taking SJW for 14 days. I was hoping I'd be one of the ones for whom it would work right away, ha. I live in KY, and it's been gray, gray, gray lately. Just this week I bought one of those 10,000 lux lights and am doing light therapy in the morning. Well, today is the second day, but it's a start. The anxiety just smacks me out of nowhere. I'll be sitting, watching tv and minding my own business, and can feel it starting. When it hit me while I was sleeping two weeks ago, that's when I started SJW. I went to my doctor, and she said, "Depression and anxiety are two sides of the same coin," and gave me a choice of Prozac or Effexor XR. Before, I'd been on the 75mg tablet, which I understand is not extended release, and did great on it. If SJW doesn't work, I don't know what else to do. I think I've noticed slight improvement, but what with last night's backslide, I'm not sure now. Feeling better this morning: tired but alert and wanting to be active. When I had postpartum depression, I had anxiety then and the SJW really turned me around. I'm planning on running out today and seeing if I can find some 5HTP.