• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Headache

opal

I have been taking SJW Standardised Extract 300mg for 7 days now. The brand is Good'n Natural from Holland and Barrett (vegetarian capsules) with 0.30% Hypericin. it said on the bottle to take 3 capsules a day, with food. So I am taking one in the morning, lunchtime and teatime.

Since the second day I have had a dull thick headache. I have only be free of this for one day and that was day 4. Today it is making me feel really quite sick and my eyes feel sore.

I am trying SJW because my GP diagnosed me with depression and wanted to give me AD's but I do not like taking drugs. Am I taking too much or should I just persist and see if anything changes. So far I am having to cope with feeling rough with the headache, I am not taking anything for it as I don't want to upset the SJW. Any advice please.:confused:

weird huh I'm in my first week and I've got a wicked headache right now.

:frown:

I'm gonna wait it out, but I'm starting to think that anything that gives you a headache like this can't be good. My eyes are kind of sensitive too, the TV's kind of hurting my head.

I've also been eating a lot more, but my appetite has been sluggish so I'm not complaining about that... yet.

good luck, for headaches some suggest applying pressure to the space in between you forefinger and thumb (acupressure) or cayenne pepper also helps...

I feel like SJW has a diuretic effect on me as I've been emptying my bladder more frequently which makes me think that they could be dehydration headaches...

Not to pry, but I'm interested in comparing habits, I'm also taking them morning noon and night... so maybe that's doing it.

Approximately, how much water do you drink daily?
Do you drink any alcohol?

opal;5849 said:
I have been taking SJW Standardised Extract 300mg for 7 days now. The brand is Good'n Natural from Holland and Barrett (vegetarian capsules) with 0.30% Hypericin. it said on the bottle to take 3 capsules a day, with food. So I am taking one in the morning, lunchtime and teatime.

Since the second day I have had a dull thick headache. I have only be free of this for one day and that was day 4. Today it is making me feel really quite sick and my eyes feel sore.

I am trying SJW because my GP diagnosed me with depression and wanted to give me AD's but I do not like taking drugs. Am I taking too much or should I just persist and see if anything changes. So far I am having to cope with feeling rough with the headache, I am not taking anything for it as I don't want to upset the SJW. Any advice please.:confused:
Opal.....SJW gave me horrendous, nagging, insurmountable late afternoon headaches. I no longer take it, and you can read an earlier post of mine that addresses this. I no longer take SJW....the headaches and fatigue were just a bit much for me to endure daily. The very day I cut out the SJW, the headaches vanished. You are not alone! I'm not advocating anyone stop SJW, and perhaps there is a work-around for the headache issues. I just had to chose between feeling down 'cus I was down, or feeling down 'cus my head ached, and I was immobily fatigued.

Regards,
VariableImage

opal;5849 said:

I am trying SJW because my GP diagnosed me with depression and wanted to give me AD's but I do not like taking drugs. Am I taking too much or should I just persist and see if anything changes. So far I am having to cope with feeling rough with the headache, I am not taking anything for it
as I don't want to upset the SJW. Any advice please.:confused:
Hi Opal
I take sjw 300 mg/day and it works great. when I took 600 mg I had a headache as well.. why don't you try rhodiola rosea.,?.. it should have the same effect as sjw.

I have just tried it combined with sjw,,., did not work for me, I felt drowsy as when I took two sjw. but no headache..
good luch
maxie

opal

Dropped Dose

Hi all, thanks for all your messages. I just had to give in yesterday and come off the computer, I just felt too ill with the headache and went to bed. I got up about 6.30pm and the headache was still there, and worse! I felt sooooooo sick and could hardly open my eyes, the light hurt. All I could manage was water. I had read in Kelly's bit that your frame could make a difference to the amount you should take. And as I am around 4ft 11inches I thought perhaps it was too much to take 3 capsules a day. So I missed my one last night. At around 11pm the headache was starting to ease a hell of alot, I could concentrate on the TV. And I even managed a full nights sleep. And this morning I dont have a headache at all, yet!! I have taken my morning one and will leave out the lunchtime one and just take the evening one before I go to bed.

I have given up booze completely and haven't had a drink for the last three weeks. Although I wasn't drinking that much anyway, just one night out and a bottle at the weekend. i am a vege so don't eat any meat or meat products. It could be that I don't drink enough fluids, and I do spend alot of time on the computer as I am unemployed. But I have never experienced a headache like that before and don't want to again. i will see how it goes on just 2 capsules a day for a few days and maybe try the 3 later on. As I say it is only today I have lowered the dose so I don't know how it will effect my depression, at the moment I am just in a brilliant mood because the headache has gone and I don't feel sick!

The SJW cost me ?12.99 for 100 capsules, i can't afford anything else from the health food shop like rhodiola rosea. I must make a point of drinking more fluids though. As far as my eating is concerned, before I tended to miss meals during the day, but because it says take SJW with food I had started eating 3 times a day, but even after just a week I am putting weight on, and that is depressing on its own. Anyway, will keep you posted and keep writing about your experiences. It is great to know you are all going through the same things, oooh thats a bit sadistic :rosiecheeks:, but you know what I mean. I don't feel so alone.

Feel the same every time I'm on SJW: first slight discomfort, after 1 week or so - distinct headache, one time I put up with it for 1 month and quit after terrible blinding headaches when I just couldn’t function anymore.
It was like that on every brand of SJW I tried, no matter of standardization - wether it was standardized for hypericin or hyperforin: Kira, Perika or others 'proven’ brands. Never exceeded recommended dose. Several times tried to exclude anything that may interfere with SJW, even coffee or tea.