• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Hair Loss?

This might seem like a weird question, but I remember reading about hair loss as one of the possible symptoms - is that one of the more common symptoms like fatigue and headaches? Or is it just a "3 out of 3,569 people" scenario?

I ask because my diet is pretty horrific right now (possibly due to the depression. I have no appetite at all.) and its having an effect on my hair. So I probably wouldn't notice if SJW was causing hair loss until I'm near bald.

[Edit: Oof, I forgot to add that I'm female. So it's not male pattern baldness.]

Hi Lurial
Welcome to the forum! I have been taking SJW since maybe April, and my hair is as thick as ever. My hairstylist always has to razor it and thin it out a bunch.
Hope that helps.
SG

greta7

Hi Lurial,
I have been taking sjw for quite awhile now and have not noticed any hair loss. But you mentioned having a poor appetite. When I have had anxiety my appetite has really gone away (sleep too). Actually, I have to say that one thing that really helped me with both was going to an acupuncturist. But also, have you lost a lot of weight? Nutritional deficieny can cause hair loss but if you drop down below your appropriate body weight for your height this too can lead to hair loss. I had that happen when I was following a strict low fat diet. I got to the doctor and she mentioned my weight was dangerously low. As a process of healing, I would say try to force yourself to eat some nutritious food. Soup is good. There is a Chinese saying that when you are anxious you should not worry about what you eat - just make sure you eat. But I would add try to get some vegetables and protein in. Plus it will help you when you take the sjw. Good luck.

I am *definitely* underweight for my height, to the point where people assume I have an eating disorder.

The unfortunate part is that my stomach is a fickle princess - if I eat something it doesn't like or eat when I'm not hungry, it throws a raging tantrum that punishes me for hours. I haven't figured out what foods make it angry with me yet. At first I thought it was meat, but then I polished off an entire plate of BBQ Ribs... so yeah, still trying to figure it out. :p

Ugh. It sounds like I might have that, but I really hope I don't. Half the food I eat is on the "Do Not Eat" list if I have that disease. Bleh!

greta7

Hi Lurial,

At least you'd know what was bothering you, though if that's it...
Actually, I have a close friend who has it. She found out that she had the intolerance in her 20's. When she changed her diet she started to feel so much better. They make a bunch of substitutes that you can get in healthfood stores and some larger grocery stores - like pasta that tastes the same but uses other flours rather than wheat flour etc. I made a recipe of brownies using rice flour instead of wheat and I couldn't tell the difference. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck. ;)