• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

gabapentin

x69nr

New Member
#1
Hi my doctor wants me to stop my sjw to try gabapentin for my anxiety has any heard off or tried this drug.

sjw has had some effect on my anxiety/stress levels but they seem to be getting higher now at the mo i am on 300mg x 3 aday.

Not to happy to take a prescribed drug
 
#2
x69nr;12058 said:
Hi my doctor wants me to stop my sjw to try gabapentin for my anxiety has any heard off or tried this drug.

sjw has had some effect on my anxiety/stress levels but they seem to be getting higher now at the mo i am on 300mg x 3 aday.

Not to happy to take a prescribed drug
x69nr,

If you're not happy taking prescription drugs for your anxiety / depression, why not try 5HTP first? It's probably the closest thing to standard SSRI / anti-anxiety medication in terms of herbs and supplements. If it were me, I would have a look at the postings on the 5HTP section of this board and give it some serious thought. If that doesn't work then feel free to go down the prescription route -- it's up to you...I would definitely try 5HTP first. Have a look at this thread and see if the first posting rings a bell....

http://www.sjwinfo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=708

Sheephead.
 

x69nr

New Member
#3
Hi sheephead,

Thanks for the advice. I think i will try 5HTP at what level do would you think would be best (i know could be a hard one to answer) also I remember that you use iherd.com which would be the best one to order from them.

Also can i use it in conjunction with SJW or should i come of it first + at what speed should i come of SJW ie weeks or days as been on it constant for near on 5 months now.

You have a great wealth of knowledge my friend :read:

Chris
 
#4
x69nr;12063 said:
Hi sheephead,

Thanks for the advice. I think i will try 5HTP at what level do would you think would be best (i know could be a hard one to answer) also I remember that you use iherd.com which would be the best one to order from them.

Also can i use it in conjunction with SJW or should i come of it first + at what speed should i come of SJW ie weeks or days as been on it constant for near on 5 months now.

You have a great wealth of knowledge my friend :read:

Chris
Chris,

First of all, I have to admit that I've never taken 5HTP. However, the more I read on this and other message boards, the more I've realised that 5HTP is possibly more effective than SJW for depression combined with high levels of anxiety / panic-type symptoms. SJW seems to have the edge as a 'pick-me-up' for depression combined with lethargy and mental sluggishness.

In answer to your two questions about brands and dosage, the two most popular brands of 5HTP on iherb are Now Foods and Jarrow Formulas. Here are links to both products from the iherb site...

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-5-HTP-50-mg-90-Capsules/317?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-5-HTP-5-Hydroxytryptophan-50-mg-90-Capsules/231?at=0

I cannot advise you about dosage, especially as you are already currently taking SJW. However, a number of regular contributors to the 5HTP section of this board reckon that a small dose of 50mg per day is OK to combine with SJW. It's up to you. Obviously, if you encounter any difficulties or side-effects then discontinue immediately.

Finally, I really would recommend browsing through the 5HTP section of this board at some length. There is a great deal of information about 5HTP and other related supplements over in that section that may be useful for you.

Let us know if you need any further info.

Sheephead.
 

maddog

Regular Member
#5
It's not my intention to crash this thread and I don't want to repeat myself but before taking any 5-HTP please give a look at this other thread:
my 5-htp dont work anymore.. why?

At the moment there are hundreds of reputable studies that have proven the clinical efficacy of SJW but no single study that proves 5-HTP efficacy. Here I've said it.
 
#6
maddog;12065 said:
It's not my intention to crash this thread and I don't want to repeat myself but before taking any 5-HTP please give a look at this other thread:
my 5-htp dont work anymore.. why?

At the moment there are hundreds of reputable studies that have proven the clinical efficacy of SJW but no single study that proves 5-HTP efficacy. Here I've said it.
Fine. Let's accentuate the positive and say that Trypophan could also be worth considering for our friend Chris as he weighs up his options. I have no personal knowledge of 5HTP myself but only suggest it because it seems to have helped numerous people on this board.

Sheephead.
 
#7
Vanessa105813;12434 said:
5HTP? Is that good?

Hi Vanessa, I am still playin with the idea of using 5htp.

As to your question is 5htp good? Its that age old thing for some people it seems to work wonders but for others not so good but from what I have read on the internet over the last several months I think I will be starting it soon but at a very low dose and seeing how it go'es.

As I have had enough off prescription drugs and Iam trying to stop all my medication from the doctors and try a more natural way
 
Top