• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

First timer questions.

Hello, I just took two 300 mg capsules of SJW last night. I've read all about serotonin syndrome and how you can't eat certain things or consume panax ginseng(like in a energy drink). Seeing as how i've only done a relatively low dose of SJW once, is this truly of any concern?

LilysDad

No, you will be just fine. I have not heard about the panax ginseng part, but I don't think food should be a problem at all. Even if SJW inhibits MAO (which has never been proven) it would be very mild at best. I have never had any interactions, and that has been at higher doses over a decent length of time. You have nothing to be worried about.

kelly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Dr. Plank,

The only time you have to worry about serotonin syndrome is when you're taking another antidepressant... typically, something a doctor prescribed for you. If you're not taking two different antidepressants at the same time, you have nothing to worry about.

I don't think there's any problem taking ginseng, shouldn't have any impact on serotonin at all.

Kelly