1. Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Dosage question

Discussion in 'General discussion on depression and SJW' started by paulk, Jan 23, 2017.

1. paulk

paulk New Member

Hello all,

Although I haven't been formally diagnosed with depression, I'm quite sure I've had mild depression for many years now, mostly low mood and low energy, lack of motivation etc..

After a long time hesitating, I decided to try SJW. I bought a tincture (local health food store's own brand) since I wanted a purer form and also I figure a tincture allows easier variations in dosage. Now, the tincture doesn't specify how many mg of SJW it has, only that it's 1:3 extract, and the recommended dosage is 1 teaspoon a day. Now, the store assistant said to me that this is in order to get around restrictions on herbal medicines and that real therapeutic dose should be higher. Can someone help me work out the proper dose? I've started with the recommended 1 tsp/day about 3 weeks ago, to be safe. So far, I've only noticed just a little improvement in my mood. It's hard to say. Should I stick to 1 tsp or go higher?

According to my calculation, 1 tsp = 6ml (UK), which in 1:3 extract would be equivalent to 2000mg??? It doesn't sound right??

Paul

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. kelly

kelly Administrator Staff Member

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum! Does it say anything else on the bottle about the concentration, standardization or the amount of hypericin? I really like tinctures but have always found the dosage calculations to be very confusing as it's the amount of hypericin, the medical component found in the flowers of St. John's Wort, that makes all the difference.

I'm not sure if this is right but I'll take a stab at it: regular dosage using capsules would be 3 x 300mg at 0.3% hypericin, which is 900mg of herb with 2.7mg hypericin. For the tincture, I'm assuming it's a weight:volume ratio and the amount of hypericin isn't specific so we can only guess at the actual strength of the liquid. A U.S. teaspoon is 5ml. So a 1:3 ratio suggestions each ml has 0.33g of herb, so with 5ml would be about 1.66g of raw herb. Without having a standardized dosage we can only guess how much herb you'd need per day. Some are 0.3% hypericin, others are half-strength at 0.15% hypericin, and still others aren't standardized and just don't know. I'd be real surprised if 1 tsp/day is all you need. I found a site that suggests with tinctures you'd need the equivalent of 3 to 9g of per day, which is 2 to 6 tsp/day. I don't know how they figured that however.

https://herbalgoddessmedicinals.wor...l-tinctures-getting-or-giving-the-right-dose/

If you're not getting relief with 1 tsp/day it's safe to take more. I wish I could help more but I just don't know enough about tinctures to suggest how much to take.

3. paulk

paulk New Member

Hi Kelly!

Thanks for your reply. I have managed to speak to the actual person that makes them. It turns out that due to regulations they say 1 tsp per day on the bottle, but in reality it is 3 x 20 drops per day, and 1 ml (20 drops) is 300mg, so 3x will be 900mg! Where I was going wrong is assuming 1tsp=6ml.

So far, it seems to be working, though I have an additional issue of being a (light) coffee addict! I've been taking it for about 4 weeks now, I'll give it another 4 or so to see if it makes a real difference.

P.

4. kelly

kelly Administrator Staff Member

Hey Paul, that's cool and thanks for letting us know. Getting the info from the source is the best too. In a way it makes sense as most capsules say "take 1/day" on the bottle whereas you'd typically need 3/day to be effective.

I'm a coffee addict as well. Caffeine is still a drug but at least it's mostly benign. :)

kelly