• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

does anyone take sjw with a statin

i went the doc today and he told me my cholesterol was sky high,.he wants me to take lipitor,.i'm really worried about side effects but my cholesterol is over 400 so i might not have a choice in the matter,..my question is,can you take sjw with a statin,.i've been taking sjw for about 2 weeks,..so should i stop,.or does anyone take sjw with a statin? thanks guys..

knocksville;12054 said:
i went the doc today and he told me my cholesterol was sky high,.he wants me to take lipitor,.i'm really worried about side effects but my cholesterol is over 400 so i might not have a choice in the matter,..my question is,can you take sjw with a statin,.i've been taking sjw for about 2 weeks,..so should i stop,.or does anyone take sjw with a statin? thanks guys..
Knocksville,

How about trying a low fat diet before you go onto the statins? My cholesterol measured 350 back in January. I've tried statins before but they gave me horrible side-effects -- and statins are for life! I cut a deal with my doctor that I would try a low fat diet for three months and if my cholesterol levels were still high I would go back onto the dreaded statins.

That was back in late January. I was re-tested in May and my choesterol count had dropped to 270. Since then, I have tightened up on a few more things in my diet and added in one or two healthier alternatives, so I am hopeful for an even better result in September when I go back! The other thing is that I have lost 22lbs in weight! Unbelieveable. I would never go back to my old food habits.

Low fat diets are easy. You just need a decent reference book, a few staple meals and off you go! Let me know if you are interested.

As far as combining statins and SJW is concerned, I've not come across any suggestion that you can't take them together, but it's just more drugs -- more medication. Taking stuff in combination always runs the risk of potentially greater side-effects.

Sheephead.

sheephead

i am very much interested in your info on a low fat diet,..i dont want take statins if i dont have to,..but you know how some of these doctors are,.my doctor made me feel like i was going to kill over right where i stood if i didnt start a statin right away,..i envy you for having a understand doc,.but what i didnt say in my earlier post,.i was on a low carb diet for like a year straight,.i took a few months off,..then i did it for another year straight,.so i think thats the reason my cholesterol its high,( duh),lol,..i really appreciate your post,.it made me feel alot better,..i was stressing like crazy,.i also think a low fat diet would do the trick,.i just dont know where to start,..i also have been thinking of cutting meat out altogether,..but thats a whole other story,.but thanks for reply again,..and i would love to know what you did to drop your cholesterol (congrats by the way)and what foods i should start with,.thanks a bunch

knocksville;12061 said:
i am very much interested in your info on a low fat diet,..i dont want take statins if i dont have to,..but you know how some of these doctors are,.my doctor made me feel like i was going to kill over right where i stood if i didnt start a statin right away,..i envy you for having a understand doc,.but what i didnt say in my earlier post,.i was on a low carb diet for like a year straight,.i took a few months off,..then i did it for another year straight,.so i think thats the reason my cholesterol its high,( duh),lol,..i really appreciate your post,.it made me feel alot better,..i was stressing like crazy,.i also think a low fat diet would do the trick,.i just dont know where to start,..i also have been thinking of cutting meat out altogether,..but thats a whole other story,.but thanks for reply again,..and i would love to know what you did to drop your cholesterol (congrats by the way)and what foods i should start with,.thanks a bunch
Knocksville,

I'm really pleased that you're interested in trying a low fat diet. I think it's certainly worth a try. If you manage to substantially reduce your fat intake I think it's almost inconceiveable that your cholesterol levels won't fall as well. There are also supplements that you may want to consider that have cholesterol-lowering effects, but more of that later.

The key to a low fat diet is to reduce your intake of saturated fat. The maximum daily amount is generally regarded as about 20g, but for a serious low fat diet you should probably think about trying to achieve around 5g. Saturated fat levels are indicated on most food packaging, so some careful study of packaging when you're in the supermarket is probably required until you're up to speed on what to use and what to avoid.

Bad foods:

In a nutshell, these are the high-fat foods that I avoid: all fast/junk food, sausages, bacon, fatty meat, butter, margarine, cream, cheese, creamy sauces, full fat milk, cakes, biscuits, pies, pastries and sweets.

Good staple foods:

There are certain foods that are not only low in fat but actually absorb cholesterol in the body. Oats are a really useful example of this because you can eat it in cereal form (Oatibix, porridge) for breakfast, or bread form (oat bread or any loaf part-made with oatmeal) for lunch. Skimmed milk is a useful diet tool because it contains virtually zero fat. Baked potatoes are really good because they are filling and very low fat, so I use these alot for evening meals.

A typical day would be as follows:

Breakfast: 2 x Oatibix with skimmed milk, or oatmeal toast with marmalade / jam

mid morning (if required): banana

Lunch: 2 pieces oatmeal or wholemeal toast with tin of tuna (or other fish) and salad - i.e. mixed lettuce, sweetcorn, tomatoes, cucumber, low fat coleslaw. Instead of tuna you can buy chopped chicken breast from the supermarket. Often these come in different flavours (sweet chilli, barbecue, cajun etc.). Chicken breast in general is a really good, low fat meat.

Mid afternoon (if required): zero fat yoghurt or mashed avocado on toast

Evening meal: Decent-sized jacket potato with chicken breast and vegetables or salad. Instead of chicken breast you could oven-cook some fish. You can serve either meal with tomato salsa or a small amount of low-fat dip. Chicken stir-fry is good with lots of stir fry vegetables and noodles. If you're not in the mood for cooking, beans on toast is fine. The odd egg now and again is OK. Why not try making tuna pasta with a tin of tomatoes, courgettes, onion and a bit of chilli. Use your imagination. Chilli con carne using low fat mince and mixed with lots of kidney beans and mushrooms is fine - serve with jacket potato.

With a low fat diet you don't have to starve yourself and you can eat a reasonable amount of healthy carbs. I find it really easy to follow. I don't go hungry and I allow myself a healthy snack between meals if I fancy one.

Treats:

Jacket potato with 6 oz lean fillet steak and vegetables. You can have pork loin in place of the steak as an alternative. If you fry use olive oil and don't use too much.

Supplements:

There are various cholesterol-lowering supplements on the market. Chief amongst these are plant sterols and red yeast rice. If you go on iherb.com and put these into the search box it will give you lots of alternative brands. Take a look at the customer reviews. These are quite interesting and will give you a good idea as to their effectiveness. I don't take either. Both had mild side effects for me (I am very side-effects sensitive) and I would prefer to lower my cholesterol using just diet.

Finally, I think it is useful to buy a good reference / recipe book on low fat diets, especially at the start of the diet when you're still learning about what's best. Take a look on Amazon and see what catches your eye.

I hope the above is useful. The low fat diet has changed my life, lowered my cholesterol, blood pressure and weight and has given me a new lease of life. I would never, never go back to my old diet. I am fairly strict, but I do give myself the odd night off now and again if I'm out with friends or just fancy the occasional break. The main thing is to get your regular, stock meals sorted out.

Good luck if you decide to try the diet and don't heitate to ask me if you need any further info.

Sheephead.

Last edited by a moderator:
sheephead

thanks for the info again,..that really seems manageable,..not too difficult,..my main thing is i have very bad anxiety and the thought of something happening before i can get my cholesterol down is driving me insane,.i mean really,..i cant focus,..panic attacks,.i'm a wreck over here,.i have 2 small children and i want to make the best decision for them,..and not because of my ego or hard headedness,..i will change my diet for sure,.but do you know if statins can prevent heart attacks or strokes,..i read alot about red yeast rice,..but finding a good company or brand is the key,..im seriously a mess,.sorry if i'm rambling on,.

knocksville;12067 said:
thanks for the info again,..that really seems manageable,..not too difficult,..my main thing is i have very bad anxiety and the thought of something happening before i can get my cholesterol down is driving me insane,.i mean really,..i cant focus,..panic attacks,.i'm a wreck over here,.i have 2 small children and i want to make the best decision for them,..and not because of my ego or hard headedness,..i will change my diet for sure,.but do you know if statins can prevent heart attacks or strokes,..i read alot about red yeast rice,..but finding a good company or brand is the key,..im seriously a mess,.sorry if i'm rambling on,.
Knocksville,

The decision whether to take Lipitor is entirely your call and I would never advise someone to discount the advice of their doctor - period. Your original concern was whether SJW and Lipitor could be taken together and I offered my advice about the low fat diet purely because you seemed a bit worried about an interaction between the two.

Why don't you speak to your doctor about going on a low fat diet? Express to him your genuine and understandable concern about taking yet more medication and its possible interaction with SJW and valium. You could always do what I did and suggest a trial period of 2-3 months for the diet followed by a blood test. My advice would be to do whatever you're going to do with the full knowledge and support of your doctor -- don't just go off on your own track. Hopefully this will have the effect of reassuring you whilst keeping him 'in the loop'.

Sheephead.