• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Diets lacking in Magnesium>>ADHD Depression

Anyone who has ADHD or depression should really try to eat a more magnesium rich diet or take a supplement. This stuff is like magic for me... It gives me energy and most of all has resolved a long standing (life long) issue with constipation...LOL. I don't know about any of you guys, but when my stomach or my digestive systems feeling unwell I'm pretty much useless. Changing my diet and getting exercise has helped tremendously.
http://magnesiumrichfoods.com/ provides a list of good foods and there are numerous studies that can be found on the internet linking magnesium deficiency to depression, ADHD, and even suicide. Just had to share...Magnesium's helped me a lot, so for anyone who's not satisfied with the stimulants or antidepressants given to them by doctors they should give it a shot.

Very strange nobody paid attention to this topic. Actually, magnesium deficiency (even slight or masked deficiency) almost always leads to serotonergic insufficiency as well as NMDA hyperexcitability which ALWAYS leads to depressive symptoms.
No matter which therapy but magnesium (preferably medium doses - and don't mistake dosages counted for Mg2+ and for one of its salts!) MUST be included in depression and anxiety regimen.

Any salt is good except for oxide (not bioavailable), glutamate/aspartate (worsen depression due to glutamatergic excitation), sulphate (poor bioavailability, loose stools). Generally, amino-acid chelated magnesium is BEST.
Now they say l-threonate is best delivered to brain, but judge for yourself, citrate, glycinate and lactate, they say, is also very good.
The thing is serotonin synthesis relies heavily on many factors, one of which is magnesium enzymes.
Magnesium also regulates (naturally inhibits) glutamatergic pathways responsible to neural damage when hyper-activated (stress does it all day long), this hyperactivation produces anxiety immediately and depression over time.
​

Just thought I would add my voice in favour of magnesium supplementation to help with anxiety and depression. I started taking it back in 2006 and noticed straight away that it lifted my mood and had an immediate, and very beneficial, impact on cognitive performance. Over the years I've trialled dozens of different supplements and prescription meds to help combat mild depression and low-grade stress, but magnesium is the only thing that I always come back to and continue to take to this day. Although I don't take it every day, it has become an indispensable part of of my routine to the point that my body and mind would feel 'out of whack' without it.

What Hyperwind says makes a lot of sense to me. I don't know what 'glutamateric pathways' are, but am very familiar with the low-grade stress and feeling of 'burn-out' that results from the'overstimulataion' that he refers to, say in a workplace or social environment. I would definitely recommend it on a 'try-it-and-see' basis especially if you feel your anxiety or depression is the result of burn-out or mental fatigue. I use solgar brand 200mg magnesium citrate. I generally take it around breakfast time -- not always the full amount....I usually break it down into a 75-150mg dose. It usually kicks in within 3-4 hours.