1. Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Debating on SJW or medication

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself anonymously' started by DanielleT1983, Jan 2, 2017.

1. DanielleT1983

DanielleT1983 New Member

hi my name is Danielle I have been dealt a bad year (lost my dad and am going through a terrible breakup with a verbally and mentally abusive "recovering" alcoholic that I desperately want to make it work with) and I have been diagnosed with moderate depression and advised by my therapist to see a psychiatrist to be prescribed meds. Through research I found SJW and I'm wondering if it's worth it? I'm afraid to start something that will make me miserable if I stop it but I need some peace in my head. Thanks!!

2. kelly

kelly Administrator Staff Member

Hi Danielle, sorry to year about what you've been going through. I hope you have a much better year in 2017!

If you're worried about withdrawal from stopping an antidepressant then note that the prescription meds are MUCH worse than SJW. Years ago I was taking Paxil and after stopping it abruptly my world was turned upside-down and things were worse than before I had started taking it. That doesn't happen with SJW and also there are fewer and less annoying side-effects than with prescription meds. It's one of the safest alternatives out there since it's available over-the-counter. If you decide to try it give it 4-6 weeks and if it doesn't work you can always try something else, including a regular prescription med.

Fast Heart Mart likes this.