1. Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.
    Dismiss Notice

A review of current evidence for acetyl-l-carnitine in the treatment of depression.

Discussion in '5-HTP, CBD, CEBT Therapy, SAM-e, Rhodiola, books' started by maddog, Mar 16, 2014.

1. maddog

maddog Regular Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24607292

2. kelly

kelly Administrator Staff Member

3. maddog

maddog Regular Member

Apparentlt the "Acetyl-" version should pass the blood/brain barrier more efficiently than L-carnitine alone. Weird that L-Carnitine is more expensive than Acetyl-l-carnitine.

It should also help with memory loss, and on top of my depression, I am also experience massive organizational problems. The problem is, it's not cheap. I am already wasting a lot on money on SJW, Green Tea Extract, purified fish oils.

I wonder if somebody has tried it or willing to try and then feedback the results. I guess it doesn't work fast.

4. Soccer Dude

Soccer Dude Regular Member

Apparently our bodies make L-carnitine. It's part of the ATP energy production, including co-q10.

This cardiologist (MD) goes into great detail about methyation and how to support different methyl gene defects. The ones below are in regards to CBS defect. You can read moure about it in the link below:

http://heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

"Co-Q10 and Carnitine generation will fall off due to impaired methylation, and ATP levels fall, robbing you of energy. "

" Energy Production will falter. To generate ATP energy, you need Co-enzyme Q10 and Carnitine, but to manufacture these co-factors you need methyl groups, which tend to be in short supply in individuals with Methyl Cycle defects. To make matters worse, when energy is in short supply, homocysteine is shunted in to ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and alpha-ketoglutarate, and not in to its one beneficial metabolic product, glutathione. "

I tried l-carnitine before, I don't recall how I felt. I think it was during my semi-bad anxiety/panic etc.... state, so anything I took seemed to make me worse. I see my ND today, so I will ask about this as I'm still low on energy. I now take methyl-b12 due to a methylation defect I have, MTRR, I tried some d-ribose, but I think it gives me stomach cramps. So, I might look at co-q10 and carntitine as an alternative.

Interesting stuff

Soccer

5. maddog

maddog Regular Member

It's not L-Carnitine, it's Acetyl-l-carnitine.

6. maddog

maddog Regular Member

I've just bought my first batch of Acetyl-L Carnitine from Now Foods. I plan to start with 500mg a day.

7. kelly

kelly Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to see if I can find Acetyl-L Carnitine locally and then try it out. I've actually been taking L-Carnitine periodically for entirely different reasons, mostly due to my exercise routine, so the Acetyl- version sounds interesting. I haven't seen it on the shelves before but to be honest I haven't looked for it either. Thanks for posting this info.

8. orlando

orlando Regular Member

I can vouch for the efficiency of Acetyl-L Carnitine. I've been testing various supplements for years now and this substance is one of the most amazing discoveries that tremendously improves mood, energy and concentration. Some of my friends find it even more efficient treatment for depression than SJW.