• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

5-HTP and SJW combination= serotonin syndrome??

OnTrack

Hello everybody, im currently taking

300mg hypericum three times daily
50mg 5-HTP twice dayly
Vitamin B twice daily

This combination is working very well for me and took effect like what seemed to be almost immedietly(first week). Placibo effect? Dont know, dont care :wobblyeyes:

On this site it states to not combine other medications like 5-HTP with SJW because it may cause serotonine syndrom.

Here is a cut and paste under other options tab

"Don't combine different treatments together! If you do, you'll never know which one is working, or why. Too many variables in your treatment make it too hard to figure out what's going on. Plus, if you combine all SJW with 5-HTP or even prescription meds, there's a chance that you get serotonin syndrome, where you actually feel more depressed as a result of too many meds."

Its true that I wont know which is working or why. But could it be its a combination of the two. Maybe not, maybe I could go with just the 5-HTP or SJW alone, so in that way I agree. But what concerns me is serotonine syndrome and feeling of more depression. Thats a scarry thought, and if thats the case ill give one the flick. No point being well now and worse than I was latter :frown:

Iv never heard this before, what do you guys think/know, what are your thoughts, experiences or links.

So Confused!!!

I have been taking SJW for almost a year and it is now starting to not work. I bought 5HTP to use, but I am not sure how to take it. My homeopathic Dr. and my psychiatrist said to NOT take it with the SJW. The lady at the natural food store told me I should combine them because the 5HTP will act like an enhancer with the SJW. I've been researching the internet and found articles stating both ways. I see where ONTRACK uses both at the same time. Has anybody else here used both?????

I am wondering the same thing. I found a site that says they are a good combination. I might try it out and post about it sometime soon. I am currently just on SJW

I picked up some 5HTP along with the SJW since I ran out. I took 600mg SJW total and 50mg 5HTP today. I first took the 5HTP and didn't feel anything at all. If anything I noticed that I was pretty irritable and road raging quite a bit. I went home and took some SJW and another one later on. I think it should be fine.

As for the serotonin syndrome I was expecting to be feeling more anxious with them combined, but none of that happened.

btw I'm new to 5HTP. Does it take a while to kick in? I was expecting the 20-30 min kick that I read about but nothing today.

I finally got a hold of my Psy. dr. because I was having all kinds of depression. He told me I could take the 5HTP with the SJW. I did for a couple weeks, but with no improvement with my depression. I just kept getting worse and worse. I was on the 50mg. I finally had to go on a prescription med. I was on the SJW for a year, that's good for me to be on something that long. Anyhow, once I went on the Lexapro, which by the way I had to go off of, he told me I COULD NOT take the 5HTP with the Lexapro. 5Htp may work great for some people, but it didn't do anything for me. What helped the most was going on Lithuim orotate. It is not dangerous like the prescription lithuim. I shouldn't say dangerous, I mean not as likely to cause any side effects, and you don't have to get your lithuim levels checked when on the orotate.

i'm curious how the lithium makes you feel. Do you feel very calm and thoughtful all the time? Are there lows once in a while or clusters of side effects?

First keep in mind that I am not taking the pharmaceutical lithium, which is lithium carbonate. That is the one you have to have blood levels taken periodically for. I heard you can get several side effects from that, plus being cautious all the time about the levels in your blood is scary to me. I am taking lithium orotate. I get no weird feelings from it. No side effects at all. The only thing it did, (thank goodness), is stop my depression. If you don't have a dr. in the area that carries that kind of thing, you can purchase it over the internet from several sites. It's scary when your trying to take care of your depression on your own without a drs. guidance. I did find a psy. dr. that also believes in natural things to help with depression. He has me on vitamins, and fish oil too.

SJW plus 5 HTP works for me so far

My herbal docctor, who is also medically qualified and who writes books and teaches, gave me SJW plus 5HTP, two tablets of each twice a day.

In a week, I have found an enormous improvement though it does fluctuate a bit.

artur

WOW. thats a keeper. doctors are usually idiots. then hardly know anything natural and always recommend drugs. good doctor. 1 in a million haha

patricia

hystle can you tell me how many mg of sjw and 5htp your dr recommended. Amoryn (brand name that advertises success, but you can't get a person to talk to in their company and there is suspect it has gone downhill), combines 5htp, rhodiola and sjw in their formulation so obviously the ingredients can be combined safely. I'm in my 6 week of SJW and have noticed a little change like my isomnia has abated for the past 3 days, and not as listless. Going to go the full 8 weeks before considering other products. Came across HBC www.hbcprotocols.com which seems to have an interesting formulation of its sjw.

msteddy;2578 said:
First keep in mind that I am not taking the pharmaceutical lithium, which is lithium carbonate. That is the one you have to have blood levels taken periodically for. I heard you can get several side effects from that, plus being cautious all the time about the levels in your blood is scary to me. I am taking lithium orotate. I get no weird feelings from it. No side effects at all. The only thing it did, (thank goodness), is stop my depression. If you don't have a dr. in the area that carries that kind of thing, you can purchase it over the internet from several sites. It's scary when your trying to take care of your depression on your own without a drs. guidance. I did find a psy. dr. that also believes in natural things to help with depression. He has me on vitamins, and fish oil too.
Hi.

I started taking Lithium Orotate three days ago.
I am interested to know if it's still working for you

Ann

patricia

well i've been on sjw (Perika) for 3 months going on 4 and no change. i then decided to go on regimen of l-tyrosine 3000 mg a.m., with 300 Perika in the a.m. & 500 rhodiola. In the eve went with 5htp 100 mg, 500 rhodiola and omega-3 fish oils. While my insomnia improved dramatically with 5 htp in the eve, panic and fear attacks increased (which I never really experienced before) and brain fog set in once more. Have been on this regimen for one week. Thought it would act sooner. Maybe cut down on the rhodiola in the eve. Have to do some juggling here obviously. Spring is coming and I shd be coming out of the winter doldrums but if anything getting worse. Will go another week and most likely call my psych asking for the lithium orotate and give that a try. Don't know what else to try in my quest for a lifestyle.

patricia

Annb...how many mgs are you taking of lithium orotate? I am 5'2" 135 lbs. Only on prilosec, no other drugs. Rather than contact my psych thought I'd check to see how much you are taking and what you are experiencing and probably get it online. Have to wait 3 weeks to get an appt with the psyche. business is good for him evidently.

lithium orotate

Hi Patricia.

I'm taking 2 caps per day,i think there is around 40mgs per cap.
It stated on my directions only to take 2 a day unless under medical supervision. Like you i'm patiently waiting for an appointment.
I only started 4 days ago so i guess it's a bit too soon too tell yet, so fingers crossed, i am in a depression at the moment and i am also taking 150mg of Venlafaxene.

Great to hear from you.
Good Luck.

Ann

ann.b

Hi Again Patricia.

looks like i've confused you, and myself for that matter.
I was trying to reply to "msteddy's" post about L Orotate and i seemed to have made that quote look like my post, so you should have been posting "msteddy" and not me for an answer.

Sorry about that, not to good at this yet.

I will still be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

Are you Bipolar?.

Ann

patricia

hi ann: thanks for your response. I'm not bipolar just have lived with depressive symptoms off and on all my life but always have had lots of energy and taking on projects.. Now that I'm older and the kids are gone, I should be accomplishing great things because of all the free time, but my depression is debilitating. Have no desire to do anything but eat and sleep. Constant brain fog and have to push myself to do anything. Additionally was always a people person, have now turned into an agoraphobic. With 15 to 20 years left of my left (according to averages) would sure like to live it productively. so this website seems to be offering me other alternatives other than what my psyche has offered over the years which were drugs whose after-effects were sometimes worse than the cure.....

If I may comment here ! I have bought tablets which combine both SJW and 5HTP in the same pill. Yet someone on another forum told me not to combine the two. I've also read (wikipedia) that 5HTP should not be taken with vitamin B6. I'm very confused. I want to take SJW + 5HTP + B complex or B6.
The doses I take are : SJW 100mg, Griffonia seed 200mg (providing 98% 5HTP) the tablets also contain 100mg magnolia.

I've come off all prescription meds over the last few weeks (under doctor's supervision) as I was so fed up with the side effects (sleeping, not sleeping, weight gain, fluid retention, sexual dysfunction...) so i don't want to have more probs with natural supplements.

patricia

You know Sabina you will find several differences of opinion here in this forum. I've pretty much taken the advice of several responders and what worked for them did not work for me. For instance, I started with SJW and experienced nothing. Then went L-tyrosine, rhodiola and sjw..still nothing' then added 5htp at night. Gave each a 12 week try and saw no sigifinicant effect. Then I looked into SAMe and was told to not go above 400 mg because of serious side effects. I went and researched SAMe obtaining info from several published articles tested on patients and found they were using up to 1600 mg for iti to take effect. So I started first with 100 mg for 3 days nothing; went to 200 for 4 days noticed nothing; anyway continued increasing incrementally until now I am taking 1400 mg in the morning on an empty stomach and have noticed a significant improvement in my mood and depression. My brain fog has lifted. My insomnia is still a bother, but the panicky feeling I would get if I did not get enough sleep was devastating. Now I take it in stride. I am motivated to exercise and overall feel 75% better. I did attempt 1600 mg but got an upset stomach so went back to 1400 and have noticed no side effects. So I say this to tell you, if your bottle is formulated for sjw and 5 htp and B6 then go ahead and take it and try it out maintaining a journal. See how you respond after 6 weeks or 8 weeks. In the past I've been on every med out there and received little to no benefit from anything and the side effects were similar to yours. I definitely do not want to go that route again. But it is all trial and error regarding the natural way because very few docs if any will direct you. We, more or less, have to be our own doctors. Good luck. p.s. one thing I was going to try that someone suggested worked for them was lithium orothate, if the SAMe did not work. But so far I feel SAMe might be my ticket out of the depression hell.

patricia

Sabina one more thing. the sjw i took was Nature's Way Perika (recommended by Kelly) the contents are sjw 300 mg and vitamin C 4 mg which had a minimum level of 3& hyperforin. From my research it seems the hyperforin was an important element to have with perika's sjw. Not familiar with the griffonia and magnolia that you mention. There are soo many variations of sjw i discovered. I took 900 mg a day.