• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Just started and hanging in there

Hi,

I have been taking SJW for about a week now. I have already started noticing the effects. I don't feel like I am in a dark hole anymore. While I don't feel like a million bucks, I feel like I can cope. A barometer of how I've been feeling is when I look in the mirror. I don't jump to the conclusion that I look bad. Rather, I realize that my perception of myself is not necessarily based on reality but is rather a product of low self esteem.

I also haven't been feeling complete an utter despair. I can now see a day when this will become a thing of the past. I am afraid to keep my hopes up because many times in the last six months I've slipped back into depression, but this "okay" feeling has lasted for a few days now. Hard to believe the SJW could be working so fast!

Just last year I was the happiest person in the world. I had never had depression. I could not empathize with my friends who were depressed or anxiety ridden. But then after a death in my family and various other misfortunes, I fell gradually into an insidious depression. It crept up on me and was made worse by many weeks of insomnia (definitely the darkest period in my life!), which then triggered anxiety. This whole experience has humbled me greatly. I realize now that I can't control everything in my life and that I have to start living my life differently. But when you are in the depths of depression, it is impossible to turn over a new leaf. I am hoping that SJW will enable me to put all of the lessons into practice.

Thank you Kelly for providing this forum!

KKat

Hi LisaJane,

Just read your post - wondering how, after a few more weeks, you were feeling. Started taking SJW just a few days ago and am curious how others starting recently are feeling.

how i'm doing...

Hi KKat,

Thanks for getting in touch. I was hoping someone would respond to my post. I'm trying to ween myself off of the SJW at the moment. I have felt better on it for the most part, but I don't want to be on it indefinitely. I don't like being dependent on anything. I've always relied on a healthy lifestyle to get me through tough times. What I noticed on the SJW is that I'll be doing well for a few days and then I will get a major depressive episode, which is often accompanied by anxiety. I think this might be triggered by forgetting to take a dose. I've noticed, since weening myself off of the SJW, that the anxiety is returning and I'm having a bit of trouble sleeping.

I am now taking 600 mg of SJW and am hoping to cut it back to 450 and then 300, etc. over the next few weeks. It has definitely helped me through some rough times, but it didn't address the underlying health problem. I've been dealing with a hormonal imbalance for quite some time now. Three weeks ago I began taking Immunocal, a whey protein supplement which helps raise glutathione levels. Low glutathione can be a factor in depression. After taking the Immunocal for a few weeks, I felt better almost instantly. It hasn't improved my sleep, but that could be caused by weening off of the SJW. In retrospect, I probably would have tried the Immunocal first, because I have had so much stress in my life and I know that I really just have to build up my immune system. With a strong immune system, I think my mood will naturally get better. The SJW, like I said, may help you get over the hump but it may not address the underlying issue. It is worth trying, though, while seeking out the answers for why you're feeling depressed.

Good luck and keep in touch!

LJ

KKat

Don't give up

LisaJane,

I know from experience with prescription meds, you can't give up too soon. As far as not sleeping, the owner of my local health food store recommened Irwin Naturals Power to Sleep PM - it's all natural and works really well for me - you can try that. I still wake up several times during the night, but am able to go right back to sleep. Take care.

KKat