• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

First days but feel quite good

Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to feel an effect the first day or so of taking SJW and 5HTP. I have been taking for a few days about an average of 80-100 mg of 5HTP and today I just bought and tried a product called Deprim Forte. I live in Europe and told Deprim is St. Johns but sold in only the Pharmacy. I am not sure how good a grade it is, but this afternoon I already feel very up and productive... I usually just want to do nothing. Would it be possible to work this fast or is it just the day? I guess I will know more of my answer in the week. Also, anyone know how much SJW is in Deprim Forte ..the instructions are in German.I am not very depressive but the dark days of November are here and make me sometimes climb in my hole..
:)

I managed to get some info on this and it has 425 grams per capsule. It says take 3 per day..Isn't that too much?

Deprim? forte, hard capsules
Hypericum perforatum L., herba, extractum siccum quantificatum

Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains all important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to use it carefully to get the best results from it.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
- You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve within four to six weeks.
- If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.

In this leaflet:
1. What Deprim forte is and what it is used for
2. Before you take Deprim forte
3. How to take Deprim forte
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Deprim forte
6. Further information

1. WHAT DEPRIM FORTE IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR

Deprim forte is a medicine of herbal origin. It contains dry extract of St. John's Wort ? Hypericum perforatum L., herba, extractum siccum quantificatum.

Deprim forte restrains or reduces melancholy, lack of interest and accompanying symptoms such as bad general feeling, loss of appetite and sleeplessness. It also improves the mood and increases motivation for work.

Deprim forte is recommended in:
Mild depression episodes with common symptoms such as melancholy, loss of interest and lack of energy that affect every-day activities (at work, at home, with friends).

2. BEFORE YOU TAKE DEPRIM FORTE

Do not use Deprim forte if:
- You are hypersensitive to St. John's Wort or to any of the other ingredients of the medicine.
- You have depressive disorders which are more severe than those described above. In this case you should visit your doctor as soon as possible.
- You are taking indinavir or other medicines against retroviruses (for the treatment of cancer and AIDS), digoxin (for the treatment of heart failure), theophylline (for the treatment of asthma, chronic obstructive bronchitis), irinotecan (for the treatment of cancer), cyclosporine, tacrolimus (for the suppression of immune responsiveness in organ transplantation), simvastatin (for lowering blood lipids), fexofenadine (for relieving the symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis), warfarin and other coumarins (for the prevention of blood coagulation), medicines against epilepsy, migraine (triptans) or other antidepressants ? see also section Taking other medicines.
- You are using oral contraceptives, contraceptive injections and implants (due to the risk of failed contraceptive effect: irregular bleeding, pregnancy) ? see also section Taking other medicines.
Do not give tablets to children under 12 years of age.

Take special care with Deprim forte
Prior to the onset of treatment with Deprim forte, consultation with a physician is recommended, as symptoms of depression may be the result of some other medical condition.
During the treatment with Deprim forte avoid sunbathing or irradiation with UV light. Following administration of larger doses than recommended, the skin may become hypersensitive to UV radiation (photosensitivity).

Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.

You should not use Deprim forte if you concomitantly use other medical products, including oral contraceptives, contraceptive injections and implants. Medicinal products that contain the extract from the herbal plant St. John?s Wort can reduce the effect of many medicines such as warfarin, cyclosporin, tacrolimus, indinavir, irinotecan, theophyllin, digoxin, simvastatin, fexofenadine, oral contraceptives and tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline, nortriptyline) and antiepileptics (carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin). They may increase their metabolism in the body since they increase the level of important metabolic enzymes and transport proteins. Increased metabolism of medicines may persist for two weeks after discontinuation of Deprim forte.
In general, it is not recommended to take preparations containing St. John?s Wort concomitantly with other medicines. In case of concomitant administration, the effect of other medicines may be essentially reduced or even lost. In some medicines their effect on plasma concentrations may be measured and the dose adjusted. Irrespective of this, there is an increased risk of severe undesirable effects because of increased production of catabolites.
The risk of severe undesirable side effects may also be increased when St. John?s Wort is taken together with certain antidepressants. The risk of undesirable effects is also increased when St. John?s Wort is combined with medicines which increase the blood level of serotonin (e.g. certain antidepressants, especially serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as citalopram, fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, sertraline, paroxetine and triptans that are used against migraine (sumatriptan, naratriptan, zolmitriptan).
If you are using Deprim forte together with other medicines for a longer period of time (for more than one week) and afterwards you stop taking it, a potential increase of plasma concentrations must be taken into consideration, associated with the risk of undesirable effects of other medicines taken concomitantly with Deprim forte.

Always tell your doctor that you are taking Deprim forte.

Taking Deprim forte with food and drink
Take Deprim forte with meals with sufficient amount of liquid (one glass of water). Do not drink alcohol beverages during the therapy with Deprim forte.

Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Since there is not enough data on the safety of the medicine during pregnancy and breast-feeding, the use of Deprim forte during these periods is not recommended.

Driving and using machines
There is no evidence that the medicine might influence the ability to drive or operate machinery.

Important information about some of the ingredients of Deprim forte
Deprim forte contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.

3. HOW TO TAKE DEPRIM FORTE

Before you begin taking Deprim forte, consultation with a physician is recommended, since symptoms of depression may be the result of some other medical condition.

Adults and adolescents above 12 years of age: Two film coated tablet three times a day.
Children 6 to 12 years of age: Only under medical supervision, three to maximum four film-coated tablets a day, taken in the morning or at midday.
Film coated tablets should be taken with meals with sufficient amount of liquid (one glass of water).
You should not open the capsules!

The best effect of Deprim forte is achieved when you take it regularly for several weeks.
You can expect a favourable result of treatment after 10 to 14 days of taking the medicine.
If there are still no signs of improvement after four to six weeks of treatment, stop taking the medicine and consult your doctor.

Due to the lack of data on safety and efficacy, the use of Deprim forte is not recommended in children under 12 years of age.

If you take larger dose of Deprim forte than you should,
the undesirable effects mentioned below may manifest themselves in a more severe form.
To date there are no data regarding acute intoxication with St. John's Wort preparations in humans.
If you took the dose of Deprim forte that was too large, you should avoid exposure to the sunshine or UV light for one to two weeks.

If you forget to use Deprim forte,
∑ take it as soon as possible.
∑ If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
∑ Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one.

4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS

Like all medicines, Deprim forte can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.

Below listed undesirable effects can occur. They are rare and transient.

Rarely (fewer than 1 in every 1,000 patients treated) the following side effects can occur:
- dizziness, headache, gastrointestinal disturbances, dry mouth, fatigue, skin allergic reactions (redness of the skin, itching), restlessness, confusion

Very rarely (fewer than 1 in every 10,000 patients treated) the following side effects can occur:
In persons hypersensitive to sunlight, exposure to sun may cause reactions similar to sunburn.
In persons with bipolar disorder there is a risk of manic episode outbursts.

If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.

5. HOW TO STORE DEPRIM FORTE

Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Store the medicine at a temperature below 25 ?C.
Do not use the medicine after the expiry date indicated on the package. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.

The medicine should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of a medicine no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.

6. FURTHER INFORMATION

What Deprim forte contains
Each hard capsule contains 425 mg of dry extract from the herbal plant St. John?s Wort ? Hypericum perforatum L., herba, extractum siccum quantificatum (3.5 ? 6 : 1) with 0.75 mg total hypericins (as hypericin); extraction solvent: 60 % V/V ethanol.

Inactive ingredients are:
- content in hard capsule: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, kalcijev hidrogenfosfat dihidrat, talc, magnesium stearate,
- hard capsule: gelatine, sodium laurylsulfate, titanium dioxide E171, copper complexes of chlorophylls E141

What Deprim forte looks like and contents of the pack

Marketing authorisation holder
Lek Pharmaceuticals d.d., Verov_kova 57, Ljubljana, Slovenia

This leaflet was last approved

Hey a lil update..
I took two of these today as told in the english manual and made me feel a bit nervous and jumpy..be about 850 mg St.Johns..

I am a little confused on the dosage:

Adults and adolescents above 12 years of age: Two film coated tablet three times a day.

that would be about 2550mg herb..WOW..must be a mistake..I would be in the hospital at this amount / dosage!!!

Hi,

The recomended dosage is 3 x 300mg capsules, containing 0.30% of total hypericins each. This is a total of 2.7mg of total hypericins per day. So adjust your capsules intake to reach a similar dosage. I think something about 2.5 to 3.5 mg hypericins is ok.

Hi,
I got an update from the company that makes them and it appears to be a mix up between the regular tabs and the strong (forte) tabs..The dosage and where I felt good on was one per day..

I must say I feel much better since day one. I also have much more energy and seem to be able to work better and focus. I also feel more open to talk to people and social. I also am taking only 25mg 5htp at night before bed with juice...whatever it is placebo or what, I feel best I have in this time of year.
I guess this is a good grade of St. John's or something ..dunno.

Adults and adolescents above 12 years of age: One film coated tablet once per day.
Capsules should be taken with meals with sufficient amount of liquid (one glass of water).
You should not open the capsules