• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

upset and don't know why

Well today is the 6th day i am on sjw. Today is the first day that i started to feel like i did before i was taking sjw...down and upset. I know it says that it doesn't work fully til the 4th week but right when i started to take it i felt great.

I was really happy all the time. My boyfriend told me that he hasn't seen me this "giddy" in a while. he doesn't even know i'm taking sjw. but then today when i woke up i felt down again. it's really upsetting because i want to be happy so bad!

i wonder if anyone knows the reason i feel down today but felt great the first 5 days. and is there anything i can do? :frown:

Thanks,
Maryd

Maryd , my advice would be to read as many postings as you can from people in their early days of taking St John's Wort.You will find that your experience is a common one.It is more than likely just your body adjusting.

Good luck

Breakthrough

Froggie

Don't give up too soon....I had some bumps in the first few weeks taking SJW....it's day 37 for me and it took a good 4 weeks to get where I felt better....

Hey,
I think a similar thing happened to me when I first began taking SJW (you can see my 'diary' in the post called "Blueskies on the horizon". I felt really good for a few days...probably the first 5-7 days...and then I got really down again, the same as I was before I started taking it...
But then everything seemed to perk up again and I've been better since. Hang in there...I hope you feel better soon. And experiment a little with your dose - you might be taking too little or too much for you. Good luck.
Blueskies
xxx

I think what really upsets me is that for like the first 5 days everything was great. I hadn't felt that good in such a long time and then all of a sudden i was back to how i was before. I'm still feelin sad. I want so badly to feel like i did the first 5 days. Well i'm just gonna wait it out. hopefully i will feel better soon.

AmyLee

I am sorry that you are feeling so discouraged. Just remember that depression is a medical condition. None of us became depressed overnight, so the cure won't be an overnight one either. I know it's hard, but you must give it time to "do its magic." Hang in there.

Thanks Amy. I have another question. I've been taking centrum 21 for my multi-vitamin. Does anyone think that it would be a problem taking that with the sjw?

well it's my 11th day on sjw. i'm still down. i think i'm going to start taking 2 a day. should i wait until four weeks to see if it helps or should i just go to 2 a day now to see if it works?

Maryd,

er... you should of been on 3 a day from the begining....

That is more than likely why you haven't progressed as you would have liked.

Sorry to sound like an old grumpy head , but if you had read the forum widely you would of seen your mistake of taking one pill a day has been repeated again and again by many people.You would have also seen kelly advise people to read from the archive , his own experience and to note that in clinical trials typically 3 pills per day are used to bring the dosage up to the required amount.

This forum is a fantastic resource and can save people a lot of time and heart ache if only they would sit down and really dig in.

Breakthrough

Breakthrough, I'm not sure I agree. Not all SJW brands offer the same amount of milligrams in a capsule, so 3-a-day in one brand might actually be double the dose of 3-a-day using another brand.
Surely it's best to measure these things in milligrams instead? A lot of things I've read on this forum say it's advisable to take 900mg a day, which with my current SJW would be 6 pills a day.

blueskies2day , the recommended dosage is 2700 ug of Hypericin per day.I'm guessing that maryd is on a one a day pill likely providing 900 ug of Hypericin per day so that 3 pills would bring her up to the recommended amount.

You are correct in saying that different brands vary in their dosage.

If people are failing to respond I generally suggest they kick the dosage up for a while until they trigger a response , before reducing the dosage.

In a number of medical clinical trials the same method has been used.

Breakthrough

SJW and vitamins

There should be no problems taking vitamins with SJW. The doctor who prescribed SJW also prescribed me 5-HTP, which seems to be mainly B vitamins.

I have also been taking Veg EPA, which is fish oil and evening primrose oil.

I found the SJW kicked in quite quickly, but the day I first took the Veg EPa the residual anxiety disappeared. I am a different person now, even if not quite myself again. It's about a month now, I suppose.

My GP was quite happy with the idea of SJW.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm on my 14th day. I don't feel too down. I'm starting to feel a little better. I will keep you all posted on my progress. I hope i keep feeling better!

patricia

hi maryd: well what you experienced is the placebo effect. I believe it comes with the expectation and anticipation of something actually going to work. I know the first days I took perika 900 mg a day, I felt wow this is great and I'm on my way". And then poof, back to my gloom and doom. However in my case I went the entire 8 weeks of SJW and noticed nothing significant. So I decided to follow Artur's regimen which you can find at www.sjwinfo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=726&goto=newpost . But you may want to give your present sjw the full 6 to 8 week try before resorting to something else. But a good point was made about the difference between too much serotonin and not enough and that is referred to in that thread just go back a few weeks. If we have too much no good; not enough, not good. The trick is to find something that balances them both. I've got the theory now just want the application to work.

I think something else to remember is maybe asking yourself "why am I feeling low right now? What is triggering my depression?". Sometimes there are things that we need to look at and try and figure out how to deal with them directly. This is not always the case but I find there is are triggers a lot of the time for bringing it on.

Whatever the problem is, we're all here for you and offer our support!

Chad

Thanks Chad :)

Well actually i know what triggers it... it's my family! My mother was diagnosed with Brain Cancer in Sept. 06 and they only gave her 10 months to live. Well in January 07 they Cancer was gone. Which was a miracle. She stills has to go through chemo til end of this year and it's possible it can come back within 5 years but either way it's much better news than 10 months!

In Sept. i was in school and obviously i decided to take a semester off. Before we heard the great news i decided to take another semester off and go back to school in the summer.

My dad works a lot and travels half the year to work. My brother also works a lot and has a family of his own. My sister works a lot too and is never around. I'm left to take care of my mom and almost can't have a life outside of the family. My mom wants to be by me 24 hours a day and whenever i try to leave to do anything she complains. Although it sounds great to have someone love you so much...it puts A LOT of pressure on me.

On top of that my family (dad and brother and sometimes mom) basically think that i don't know anything and don't take my advice for anything. I should mention that i'm the baby. i'm 23 years old. My father thinks that i shouldn't go back to school in the summer because my mom needs me when i think my mom should get back to being independent. I should also mention that her doctor said the same thing.

I could really go on forever. Basically what i'm saying is that the reason i'm taking SJW is for a little help to feel somewhat happy again. I know most of you are going to say i should seek more help, but my family can't know how i feel. I'm not suicidal or anything close to it. I'm just REALLY stressed out and want to feel better.

Thanks everyone for the support. :)

Just Started

Hello, I just started taking SJW last night, 300 mg Hypericum which is the required amount according to my pharmacist and Kelly's wonderful pages. I felt a little weird this morning when I woke ( I decided to take it before I slept because of the potential side effect of fatigue) I felt a little weird, slightly headachey and fuzzy. Apart from that I feel OK I know it takes a while for some to feel the full affects, I still don't seem to be able to motivate myself to do things that I want to do, but I guess that will take time. Anyway hello to all of you, I'll keep you updated.

Maryd;3397 said:
Thanks Chad :)

Well actually i know what triggers it... it's my family! My mother was diagnosed with Brain Cancer in Sept. 06 and they only gave her 10 months to live. Well in January 07 they Cancer was gone. Which was a miracle. She stills has to go through chemo til end of this year and it's possible it can come back within 5 years but either way it's much better news than 10 months!

In Sept. i was in school and obviously i decided to take a semester off. Before we heard the great news i decided to take another semester off and go back to school in the summer.

My dad works a lot and travels half the year to work. My brother also works a lot and has a family of his own. My sister works a lot too and is never around. I'm left to take care of my mom and almost can't have a life outside of the family. My mom wants to be by me 24 hours a day and whenever i try to leave to do anything she complains. Although it sounds great to have someone love you so much...it puts A LOT of pressure on me.

On top of that my family (dad and brother and sometimes mom) basically think that i don't know anything and don't take my advice for anything. I should mention that i'm the baby. i'm 23 years old. My father thinks that i shouldn't go back to school in the summer because my mom needs me when i think my mom should get back to being independent. I should also mention that her doctor said the same thing.

I could really go on forever. Basically what i'm saying is that the reason i'm taking SJW is for a little help to feel somewhat happy again. I know most of you are going to say i should seek more help, but my family can't know how i feel. I'm not suicidal or anything close to it. I'm just REALLY stressed out and want to feel better.

Thanks everyone for the support. :)
Mary I would tell you to seek out more help. Your family doesn't have to know. It's okay to see a therapist or a counciller. They'll be able to help you gain tools for coping as well as give you help finding "inner strength" that you'll be able to take with you through any stressful situation in life.