• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

This NEEDS to be pointed out!!!

For all those that don't think SJW is working/working well enough: Find capsules that have a hyperforin content. Hyperforin AND hypercirin need to both be present if SJW is to be of any use.

http://www.depression-guide.com/hyperforin.htm

There are loads of other articles that explain why hyperforin is crucial - do a google search. Most of the brands on the market are standardized for hypercirin, which isn't effective on its own (as I think hyperforin is too hard to extract from the plant).

Personally, I started taking SJW in herbal form 4 days ago. I can't say much about it yet because it's only been this short amount of time. I'll report back in a month or so to say if there's been any significant results. If there are, it's most probably because the whole herb that I'm using has hyperforin still in it.

Hmm I'm looking on my bottle of SJW and it doesn't say anything about hyperforin. I use the Natures Plus SJW Extended release 450mg 0.3-0.5% hypericin.

Does this mean I should go get a different brand with hyperforin? Can anyone else comment on this with their thoughts?

Thanks

iluvyou1991;11433 said:
Hmm I'm looking on my bottle of SJW and it doesn't say anything about hyperforin. I use the Natures Plus SJW Extended release 450mg 0.3-0.5% hypericin.

Does this mean I should go get a different brand with hyperforin? Can anyone else comment on this with their thoughts?

Thanks
I'm not sure about natures plus.

I just did a google search and perika apparently has 3% hyperforin in it. Which I think is enough.

iluvyou1991;11433 said:

Thanks
Some people find that SJW brands standardised to hyperforin (eg Perika, New Chapter SC27) work better and some people find that SJW brands standardised to hypericin (eg Kira) work better. There is no hard and fast rule. I think we need to keep a bit of perspective here.

Sheephead.

sheephead;11435 said:
Some people find that SJW brands standardised to hyperforin (eg Perika, New Chapter SC27) work better and some people find that SJW brands standardised to hypericin (eg Kira) work better. There is no hard and fast rule. I think we need to keep a bit of perspective here.

Sheephead.
Why is there a need to "standardize" it to both? Why not have a high content of both?

Doing a google search for "St John's Wort powdered herb" brings back quite a few underground sites selling the pure herb for very cheap. The dosage is higher (approx 2 grams a day), but you're getting all the synergistic components of the plant.

Personally I've been taking 1g for the last 5 days. Now I've read that the powdered herb dosage should be 2-4g's, I've increased it to 2g (don't want to risk going as high as 4g yet). I'm going to continue with this and report back in about a months time.

I guess the problem with the pure powdered herb is that the active components can be oxidised relatively quickly... I'm not sure to what degree yet though. If you look at this site: http://www.self-healing-herbs.com/st-johns-wort.html

It says: "Grind dry stems very fine with the electric coffee grinder, then sift with a fine sieve (like the one for white flour). Store the powder in sealed glass jars, in a dark and cold place, for a period of 15 days maximum (since active substances are oxidized relatively quickly)"

and "Powder is used for stronger emotional disorders. Take a teaspoon approximately four hours apart during the day. You can take a teaspoon of powder on an empty stomach 4 times a day at 7 am, 1 pm, 7 pm and 10 pm (4 hours apart)."

That is one option. But the problem with buying the pure herbs is that there is no way to ensure that it is a quality product. There is no measured hypercirin/hyperforin level.

I'm going to buy http://www.naturalhi.com/products/StJohnsWort.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Luciiz;11436 said:
Why is there a need to "standardize" it to both? Why not have a high content of both?
Actually, it's a fair point. Most brands 'standardise' (i.e. guarantee specific amounts) to either hypericin or hyperforin levels. Very few standardise to both. My guess is that this rather underscores the slightly vague nature of the science surrounding St. John's wort. Research has revealed two active ingredients contained in SJW, but no one is quite sure which has the greater theraputic effect. Manufacturers have therefore latched onto either one or the other, and so you have some that produce 'hypericin brands', e.g. Kira, and some that produce 'hyperforin brands', e.g. Perika. That is not to say that 'hypericin brands' don't contain any hyperforin and vice versa it's jut that these levels are neither specified nor guaranteed.

If I was to name-check one of the few brands that does standarsie to both hyperforin and hypericin, it would be 'Mood take care' by New Chapter. This is essentially their SC27 hyperforin-standardised product with an additional hypericin-rich compound added in. It provides the full daily hit of hyperforin and hypericin in one, one-per-day tablet, so it is, needless to say, fairly potent.

Here is a link to that product...

http://www.newchapter.com/take-care/mood-take-care#product-information

I think the moral of the story is to find a brand that works best for you regardless of all the science. I think it is useful to know that there are two active compounds in SJW. That way, if you find that a product standardised to hypericin doesn't work for you and you want to try something a bit different, then go for a 'hyperforin brand'. If you feel you need something with maximum potency go for something that standardises both. Once again we're back to our old friend trial and error -- but it is useful to for one's 'trial and error' to be based upon educated guesswork and a proper rationale rather than random attempts.

Sheephead.

Tomc18

I read somewhere that Hypericin and Hyperforin are not the only active ingredients in St Johns Wort.

And to why most company's just standerise to Hypericin is because it's much harder to get Hyerforin standardised and more expensive.

Just stick with a Known brand or get some whole dried herb in a bag from Ebay lol, it has higher Hyperforin content than the cheap capsules and tinctures you can buy, so I heard.

It's just trial and error to what suits you best.

Tom :flower2:

Found this :
WS 5570 is a hydroalcoholic extract from Herba hyperici (drug-to-extract ratio, 4?7:1) with standardized contents of 3%?6% hyperforin and 0.12%?0.28% hypericin according to high-performance liquid chromatography.
Copied and pasted from : http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/159/8/1361

The WS 5570 is a standard here in Europe. It is printed on my batch of Neuroplant (called Perika in the northamericas).

Tomc18;11444 said:
And to why most company's just standerise to Hypericin is because it's much harder to get Hyerforin standardised and more expensive.

Tom :flower2:
I'm not sure about this. Perika (leading hyperforin-standardised brand) actually retails for slightly less than Kira (leading hypericin-standardised brand) at iherb. ($9.27 for 60 Perika tablets as opposed to $7.95 for 45 Kira tablets).

Either way, both brands are hugely cheaper than the Kira marketed in the UK. The cheapest I could find was ?13.73 (around $22.00) for a pack of just 30 x 300mg Kira -- i.e. four times more expensive.

The moral of the story for anyone from the UK -- buy your SJW from iherb!

Tomc18;11449 said:
How much is postage from Iherb to uk?
Tom,

It's pretty reasonable. I have just ordered a cholesterol-lowering supplement from iherb and the P&P was $4.00 (?2.50). In other words, it's roughly the same as P&P from UK suppliers. When you take into account how much cheaper the products are at iherb, it's a complete no-brainer.

In addition to this, the iherb site has extensive customer reviews of most products. Obviously, these need taking with a pinch of salt, but it provides some useful background information.

Sheephead.

Highernature st johns wort is the same as the Karma brand. Look at the mg (425) and the manufacturer (schwabe)

and sheephead, i have looked at iherb and can see that Perika costs almost nothing. So i do agree that this is the best place to buy.

but how does it work in uk?

in DK you can only buy for 80DKK (9GBP)
before you have to pay taxes, which is not a problem when you buy from and EU country, like UK in my case.

Is there a chance that Perika (ws 5570) could get hold by the customs because it is seen as a drug? i think that the rules in UK and DK is very identical, and that i is the reason why i am asking. and again, sry about my bad english :)

Samson;11861 said:
Is there a chance that Perika (ws 5570) could get hold by the customs because it is seen as a drug? I think that the rules in UK and DK are identical and that is the reason why I am asking.
No. Perika is an entirely legal supplement sold widely in both the UK, Denmark and throughout the world. I am sure this is not an issue.

Sheephead.

Hey guys, just returned to this forum.

And I can say, the herbal form has worked well for me. I have almost no anxiety about anything. Whilst I'm still not 'happy', the experience of depression is non-existent. And no side-effects.

I take approx 5g a day (~1.5g 3 times a day) in capsule form from Indigo herbs online.

My life has changed quite a bit since I first posted this. I remember at the time of posting, I spent all day, every day in bed in a dark room aimlessly browsing the internet. Now I've slowly tried to incorporate more activities in to my life - running, weight-lifting, reading and socializing more. I don't think I'd have been able to do it without the SJW.

Miss M

Hi all

I am new to this site and just wanted to say a big thank you for the info on this thread :) After reading through the posts I was able to gain more of an understanding of how SJW works and what components to look out for. I also realised that the brand I had brought although a rather reputable one, possibly may not be the best for me. I am thinking of trying either 'Perika', or Kira ...does any one have any feedback on either of these products?? At the moment I am leaning towards Kira...

Oh...this article may be of interest to some of you....http://www.supplementquality.com/editorials/stjohns_vs_prozac.html

BTW...has anyone come across a SJW brand that actually contains both hyperforin and also hypericum??? My current brand contains only hypericum, hence the switch. Kira seems to claim that they contain both...anyone else found this to be true?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am a real newbie to SJW and have only just very recently decided to take some medical/herbal help for my mental well being. I got to a point where things were really challenging so I took some Xanax for about a week then tried Valium for another week, and thought...hmmmm this is not a good place to be in. Although the valium is great for sleeping I am not so sure I liked the feeling of 'needing' it to sleep. So I've moved on! As for the Xanax, the side effects scared me and it was/is really strong. So I started looking for herbal remedies and here I am!!!!

Hope some one has some time to advise me :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: