• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Rhodiola and alcohol interaction?

Hi,
I have been taking sjw for almost 7 weeks with no results and have been considering trying Rhodiola Rosea for my irritability and mood swings. My college age son is battling stress and depression and it sounds like this might be good for him as well. I don't drink, but being in college, I know my son does--hopefully not excessively. Does anyone know if there are any interactions between drinking alcohol and RR? And yes I realize that drinking is not good for depression, but his response is that if everyone around him is drinking and he isn't--that's depressing! We need to work on that, but right now I just want to know what anyone else might have experienced taking RR and having something alcoholic to drink. :read:

gravity

I work for a bank so drinking actually is part of my job - also my social circle are heavy drinkers so it is a little difficult to avoid. However - Have only been taking RR for a few days and it seems to have a huge interaction with drink... I am an experienced drinker and know how much I can handle but on RR i just seem to be smashed off a couple of beers

cdwarrior

gravity;3425 said:
I work for a bank so drinking actually is part of my job - also my social circle are heavy drinkers so it is a little difficult to avoid. However - Have only been taking RR for a few days and it seems to have a huge interaction with drink... I am an experienced drinker and know how much I can handle but on RR i just seem to be smashed off a couple of beers
I had actually read somewhere that RR helps reduce the desire to drink and can be helpful in beating alcohol and drug addictions. You have not noticed a decreased desire to drink so far?

I am/was actually a very heavy drinker, it has caused major problems for me so I do still drink but only controlled amounts once a week only.
I find no enhanced effects when combining RR and alcohol, I didn't get even slightly squiffy with a bottle of red wine. I had taken the RR earlier that day (I have to do this as it keeps me awake).

(BTW, this post is about RR and alcohol NOT my problems so please don't go there ! thanks !)

If I may just add.... RR is regarded as an adaptogen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptogen

as far as I understand this could mean it will affect different people in different ways according to their particular physiological needs. This could explain why some people feel energised some feel relaxed, and possibly the different reactions to alcohol.:read:

tj88

why are the effects of alcohol amplified so much with RR.. as a college student i cant see myself not drinking and am a little scared that if i start taking RR and drink heavily one night i will black out fast.. and in a college town with police ready to arrest any and all kids on a dime this is a little scary

I have taken RR with moderate amounts of alcohol , about 6 - 7 glasses of red or white wine (13% proof). Usually RR in the morning, alcohol in evening. I have found no adverse or exaggerated effects whatsoever. Obviously everyone is different but I can't see it causing major problems. If anything I think I have less of a hangover while taking RR.
Does RR tend to make you feel sleepy or energised ? It makes me feel more awake, if it makes you sleepy then it is probably drinking whilst tired making you feel 'drunker'.