• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Quick question about alcohol

I usually have a glass (one) of red wine before/during dinner. I've started using SJW today.
Does anyone have any advice or experiences combining SJW with alcohol that I should be aware of?
All answers very much appreciated!

CryingDutchman;6289 said:
I usually have a glass (one) of red wine before/during dinner. I've started using SJW today.
Does anyone have any advice or experiences combining SJW with alcohol that I should be aware of?
All answers very much appreciated!
I drank as normal during my three years taking SJW and never had a problem.

In general, problems combining SJW and alcohol is not something I've come across on this board, although people may have other opinions.

I reckon a glass or two of wine should be OK -- you may just want to test the SJW by itself for the first two or three days though.

maudlin

Alcohol is a Depressant!!!

Alcohol is a major depressant, friends! If you are depressed, stop drinking, and your problem might go away even without any SJW or RR anything else. I used to drink wine regularly, and I stopped totally some time last year when I realized that my major depressive attacks came one or two days after I had a couple of glasses of wine. I did not even have to be noticeably tipsy to feel it.

If you are having wine regularly, you will never know how you feel without it. Stop drinking any alcohol at least for a while and see what difference it makes. I can assure you that it is still great fun to live even without red wine (actually even greater, because it is without depression!). The only pain in the neck are all those so-called friends who want to make you drink. But saying No forms your character... ;)

I too normally had 2 glasses of wine daily for about 2 years and kept the doing this after I started having MAJOR panic attacks for another couple of month. Now I'm not drinking any alcohol and if I do my panic attacks return along with all the body feelings and depression.
Just an experience for anyone interested.

If I drink too much my mood crashes. If I want to instantly return to my 'old self' all I have to do is drink a lot! Drinking a little isn't a problem for me.

laurie_lu

I've noticed that since I've gone back onto SJW, that alcohol makes me more depressed the next day. If I consume alcohol more than one consecutive night in a row, the depression is pretty intense. It takes about 72 'dry' hours before I feel normal again.

My experiences are similar to Gloomies on that. I don't drink much, maybe 2 22 ozs. of beer a month. Last night I had a 22 oz of Sasquatch beer, my mood didn't crash and there were no noticeable side effects, woke up this morning feeling fine, more than likely thanks to a lot of water and the SJW.

Much as I enjoy a drink, I find that it is generally bad for depression, especially if taken in large measure (i.e. over four pints of standard beer -8 units alcohol - in one night).

If I exceed this amount, say after a night out, it usually sets off the following chain of events:

The night immediately after, I sleep heavily for 3-4 hours then wake up. The following day day I feel extremely tired, flat and 'wiped out'. I don't want to do anything.

The next night I generally don't sleep well either, because I've done nothing all day.

The following day I still feel tired because my sleep was so poor the previous night.

....so in other words, it takes at least 2-3 days to recover from a night out and get back into some sort of reasonable day / night rythum. As one of the previous posters said, if I want the worst of my old depression symptoms to return, I just need to drink heavily and wait for the following day. :rolleyes: