• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

perika initial side effects

I just bought 3 months worth of perika. My 3rd day today I am feeling more anxious than ever and I feel like I am jumping out of my skin. I am taking 3 a day. Has anybody had increased anxiety initially and insomnia etc. before it started to work? I think I had the same side effects with paxil but then after several weeks it really started to work and got rid of the anxiety etc. I called natures way and asked them and they said just cut back on dosage since you shouldn't have any side effects. I asked her if she has read anything online and she said no. If anyone kept up with perika and toughed out the side effects and then they decreased etc please let me know. Thanks.

joey

up and down with perika so far

Hey rip. Just wanted to say hello and Ive been taking Natures Way also with mixed results for about four weeks now. In the beginning I had stomache pains that have since subsided and dry mouth also. The only other problem was dizziness. I felt a lot better the first couple weeks than now, I feel irritated and anxious at the moment. But there has been some really nice moments also, kinda like a rollercoaster. I hope I level off at some point. Are your side effects extreme? I bought a few months supply also and am going to try to stick it out. I wish you well and keep us posted. I havent changed dosing either still 3 a day with meals, I have thought about adjusting but felt it was too early on.

negative side effects

I've only been taking it about 5 days now and have had awful side effects. I started out taking it twice a day, then determined that was too much and took one day off, and today I just took one pill (300mg) this morning. It has been giving me a heavy feeling in my chest and I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep. Sometimes the feeling it gives me is the same as if I was on the verge of a panic attack. More anxiety is definitely NOT what I need! The day I didn't take it I felt fine and was able to get to sleep without a problem. I was hoping just once a day would be better, but so far that is not the case. I'm thinking about trying it in conjunction with valerian root to try to lessen the anxiety, but the side effects have made me nervous about continuing to take it... I'm not sure what to do at this point, but if the sleep problem persists I know I definitely cannout keep taking it. It would be really nice to hear if others have had similar experiences... If this is something that others have gotten over, or if SJW is just not for me...

caitlin

Hi Caitlin. I am at day 16 with sjw and the initial side effects are diminishing and my moods/mind is beginning to clear up. I think that it takes your body some time to adjust to it. I would give it more time possibly up to 6 weeks is recommended by the collective conscience of this forum. I know what you are feeling and initially its kind of a catch 22. You want to feel better but if the side effects persist too long you feel like you'll loose it. Don't do what I did which when I started feeling more anxiety, pannicky feeling I started taking more sjw. They have the recommended dosage for a reason and when I took more it made the anxiety increase. I have stayed at 3/day all at dinner time. I have taken valerian root only before I go to bed because that is pretty strong stuff as well. My label says that I shouldn't operate any heavey machinery while taking it. Since starting this, I have weaned myself off of caffeine and sugary foods. Its the same thing with that. My body has to adjust to not having the caffeine boost then burnout as well as the sugar high etc. It almost like I am so used to being on edge that learning to be comfortable in my own skin and taking the necessary steps is causing anxiety:rolleyes: Also I started taking omega 3, muti B vitamin and multivitamin as well as exercise. It takes about 30 days to form a habit good or bad, and 1 day to loose it it seems. Thanks for replying, its very comforting that I am not going through this alone.

joey

joey;5588 said:
Are your side effects extreme?
They were initially. I really felt the potency of perika especially within the first 3 hours. I would get exhausted, anxious and pannicky. I would agree with others here that it seems to be more potent than you typical run of the mill SSRI's. Nice chatting with you.

joey

hyperforin not for everyone

Hi Caitlin, How are you today? I have experimented with all kinds of natural depression releif, you name it Ive probably tried it. For the past 6 weeks its been the Perika and as of today I am not impressed, maybe I have set the bar too high but I am still on a roller coaster of emotions and have a few side effects also. I am starting to think the high hyperforin content of perika is not for me, I had some good results with the cheap wal-mart brand but discontinued it because of all the good feedback I heard on this site for Perika. In the end only you know whats best for you! I can see toying with the dosage for awhile but if the side effects are too much, Id say move on to another avenue. Good luck and keep us posted!

Well, I just couldn't deal with the intense side effects I was having, which only seemed to get worse as I got more nervous about them... The perika is the first St. John's Wort I've tried, I wasn't even all that aware that it was so much more potent than other kinds. I might try a different kind, but at this point, I just don't see that it's worth it. Also, being a female, it has totally screwed up my cycle, which is not good. Overall, it's just increased my anxiety. I'm not a big fan of any kind of medications, so I thought I'd try the herbal route... Oh well. I know I didn't stick with it for very long, but I have too many other things going on at the moment to be dealing with getting used to this. I'd have major anxiety issues about 2-3 hours after I took it in the morning, later in the day I'd crash and be completely exhausted, and then I couldn't get to sleep at night! It's kind of a bummer, but I'll look into other options...

Anyone that's used "regular" SJW and then switched to Perika, or vice cersa, let me know what, if any, noticeable differences in side effects you experienced... And any other females out there, let me know if you've had similar issues. Thanks for the replies, it's really nice to hear that others have had similar experiences.

And one more thing... I definitely wasn't expecting to experience the positive, anti-depressive effects of taking it this early on. I was totally willing to give it several weeks for that. But I absolutely did not expect such strong, adverse side effects...

maxie

Hi

I recognize a lot of the side effects you are describing..
I have taken SJW for three weeks now..

I actually started up very slowly.. I took only one tablet a day for two weeks. In the beginning I felt heart race and heaviness in my chest.. whether it was a psykological reaction,I don't know but anyway ....it disappeared and I startede taking two.. this now caused drowsiness and a very bad rasch which I have had now for 4 days now .. My doctor gave me metronidazol creme, which made it worse. I woke up looking like a panda with itching and burnigng rash around my nose. I'm now using cortisone - not my doctors prescription.. :smile: he suggested Eight hour creme by Elisabeth Arden. I did not really feel for that so I used cortison instead. Has any of you experienced rash like that and what did you do ?

My drowsiness is now slowly disappearing and when my rash has gone I will increase dosage to 3 tablets a day. I feel better, I stille have my depression - but it is a lot better - no doubt about that.

Maybe Caitlin you have startede up to fast .. perhaps you should go more slowly ?

I take one in the morning and one at night.. which makes me sleep well.. I usually have sleeping problems.. but not now.. I also drink camomile tea before a go to bed.. works well
I take something called Velzina (danish brand) - similar to perika..

maxie

I tossed the Perika after 2 months

For such a reputable brand it seems to have more complaints than praise. I bought 3 boxes online and threw out the last one and went back to Vitamin World brand which I began taking in Sep 07'. It works much better and is cheaper. Perika seemed good at first but I soon became irritable and my eyeball twitching really started bugging me out. Which I've read is a common symptom. That alone was enough reason to stop.Went back to the other and was good again. However I must say I've considered stopping often. I hate to say it guys but I don't think SJW or anything is a total cure-all! It definitely helps though, especially when we're willing to consider the notion of trying to think positive! Ya know? It supports a postive mood but won't just do all the work magically. That's what I think anyway. We all have our own situations and hang-ups in life so we all have our own challenges and obstacles to deal with and overcome! I still struggle all the time with a job I hate, chronic back problems and other health issues, being alone,weight problems yada yada yada. Whatever it is I think being down is part of life, it sucks but maybe that's how it is for depressive people like us and we just have find something we can stick with. I started Kira 3 weeks ago and really feel it's the best one yet. But I still have the misery of my own reality, it just doesn't go away that simply and I still have many negative thoughts. But that's life and I plan to stick it out with SJW-what do you have lose? It could take awhile but all ya got's is time. Good luck to all!

Paul, I think what you've written has some definite merits, but it's the idea that you seem to think that everyone else is expecting an AD to magically make life great that doesn't sit right with me.

I think I've read most posts on this forum, with the exception of a few, and I don't think most of those who post here are expecting to swallow a pill and have their problems disappear.

For me, what an AD can do is restore my ability to be myself, including all of my flaws. I have loads of things that need my attention right now, but I'm not capable of doing these things as well as I would be were I not feeling the effects of depression. It sucks, for example, when I take my youngest child for lessons and I can't interact with the other parents there because I feel so alienated (which has usually been a symptom for me). So yes, I take her, and I enjoy watching her, but I whisk her out of there as soon as I can so that I don't have to talk to anyone.

I can't make simple decisions without putting myself through agony. I can't make bigger, more important decisions because of the same agony. I don't trust my ability to make decisions right now, and that's something that wellbutrin will help me with. I am not expecting it to make the decisions for me, however. I just want that ability to think things through, come to a decision, and then carry it out.

Like you, I have a lot of things in my life that are not perfect, or even as good as I'd like them. I know that all those things will still be there, waiting for me to improve my situation even after I've come out from under this cloud of depression. I also know that I won't feel so tired and lazy, and hence full of dread, once I get rid of this. I could go on, but I think that's enough to make my point. Most of us do get it, that life's not going to magically become perfect if we can get rid of depression. Just like there's a difference between sadness and depression, there's a difference between feeling able to face life and feeling fantastic. Getting rid of depression helps one to face life and all of its challenges, but getting UN-depressed is not going to make life fantastic. I think most people here get that.

Here's a perfect example, imo. I have probably five grocery stores within a ten-minute drive from my home. I will often make a decision about which store to go to based on my mood. Lately, I find myself going to one that I really do not like because I'm less likely to run into anyone I know. I don't go to a store that I do like better, because the cashiers are mostly very friendly, ask how I am how my family is, and I don't want to talk to anyone. I'm avoiding simple tasks like that because of my mood. Will being able to go to the store that I prefer make my life great? No, of course not. It's the feelings of avoidance that are bothering me much more than going to the store that I don't like.

BelleKelle;6132 said:
Here's a perfect example, imo. I have probably five grocery stores within a ten-minute drive from my home. I will often make a decision about which store to go to based on my mood. Lately, I find myself going to one that I really do not like because I'm less likely to run into anyone I know. I don't go to a store that I do like better, because the cashiers are mostly very friendly, ask how I am how my family is, and I don't want to talk to anyone. I'm avoiding simple tasks like that because of my mood. Will being able to go to the store that I prefer make my life great? No, of course not. It's the feelings of avoidance that are bothering me much more than going to the store that I don't like.
That's a great example: the sense of avoiding people when your mood is low is all consuming. If I go for a walk in my local park I know I may bump into people and have to make polite conversation. If I'm not in the mood I'll go somewhere else. I then get down on myself for giving in to my negative side - making mundane, everyday choices that just back you further into a corner.

I suppose what I'm worried about is that if I'm in a low mood I won't be communicative and won't live up to people's expectations of me. But you're right, BK, your mood informs virtually all of your actions and everyday decisions.

making mundane, everyday choices that just back you further into a corner.

Oh boy, that's a good way to word it. Doing things that feel impossible not to do, but feeling backed into a corner because of it.

I mentioned on a different thread going to a professional lecture a few weeks back. This is an important group for me, for the kind of work that I do, and yet I left early because I was so uncomfortable just being in an auditorium with other people. No one was even paying attention to me (fine by me), but just their presence was like nails on a chalkboard. I hated hearing people chatting away happily (not out of jealousy, either--it just felt horrible). And then I did the thing I should not have done: I left. I never acknowledged the man who invited me. I never said hello to people who can help me in my career. I just left.

Talk about backing myself into a corner, yet at the time, I felt I had no choice but to get out of there.

It's just not a good frame of mind.