• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

My story and start up experience with SJW

Hi,

To make a long story short...2+ years ago I was hit with a strange brain sensation that felt like my brain turned off then back on...I immediately went into a panic/fear mode, and felt full of adrenaline. Something flipped. I felt awful for months, suffering from major anxiety, panic, heart rate and blood pressure all over the place, etc...I had some tests done by MD's but found nothing. Heart was fine, thyroid seemed fine, etc...Basic blood work fine....(Although had elevated calcium which they didn't seem to be concerned about). Then I tried Zoloft, but threw up, so I went onto a natural product that contained 5-HTP. It over stimulated me, then a week later while relaxing on my couch (with stomach pain), I started to drift off, and had a major panic attack, felt like a heart attack or something, everything went gray, blood pressure and pulse went way up, etc...I thought I was dying. It passed after 5-10 minutes so I figured it was just a panic attack...I then started having severe adrenaline rushes every time I tried to close my eyes and sleep, then I'd be wide awake like I had drunk 20 cups of espresso. It was awful. 4 nights straight of 0 minutes sleep. So, my doc put me on Xanax. Horrible idea for myself. But it helped for about a week, then I started having stomach pain again, couldn't sleep, and started having impending doom (fear) type feelings that were very uncomfortable. I couldn't help it, they were just there. Then, after 2.5 months on Xanax I got off. Started having partial panic attacks. Then I tried SSRI's again, Paxil for two week but couldn't handle the side effects. Then Zoloft again, but it made me feel major hopelessness, anxiety, panic, fear, impending doom, it was awful. I tried SJW for two week but got of due to wanting to try another meds (bad idea I should have kept on SJW). Then got worse....Then went on Lexapro which numbed all my emotions and made me feel suicidal. Got off it, felt immediately better while starting Remeron. After 7 days on Remeron I could feel a change in brain chemistry then all of a sudden I felt 100% normal for the first time in YEARS, but after 3 days I had a relapse and had major anxiety, insomnia and impending doom feeling again...Tried Lexapro again with Remeron, same bad experience. Went off lexapro again felt better for a few days, went of Remeron got ill and had bad withdrawal. Then I tried Rhodiola, not good for me, made me feel like i was on lexapro. Went off after 4 weeks. Tried Ashwaghanda, didn't help. Went off everything. Then tried an amino acid protocol with a ND. Started to help, I had some good moments some partial good days, had neck surgery went backwards for a while, then started feeling a little better again, but only when I was on high doses of the amino's. (5-htp, tyrosine, etc...) But it was over stimulating me, so I back down the dose, then my depression got worse...So, now I'm trying SJW, felt I needed something to make me stable for a while. I think I was burning more serotonin that maybe i was making.

So, my first few days of SJW were okay, no side effects that I could tell. After 1 weeks and a few days, I feel my nervous system has calmed down. And I've had moments of feeling emotions I hadn't had as a kid, like the joy I used to have being at the beach playing in the ocean. But, I continue to have the low feelings and impending doom feelings come, but they aren't as bad and don't last as long. They seem to happen more after eating food, no matter what I eat. So, not sure if there's a blood sugar/insulin thing going on or what. I'm hoping that as SJW takes more effect that these other feelings and issues will taper off or at least be less of an issue....I might be sleeping a little better now which is nice, but don't really feel refreshed..... So, I believe this is my 12th day on SJW...In some ways I feel a positive change, but still no where near steady state, or feeling a consistent happy feeling. But I know it can take 2-4 weeks. And if it's like a SSRI, some MD's say it will just be like a light bulb where all of a sudden you just feel good again. So, not sure if SJW will be a steady increase in feeling better, or just hints of feeling better then all of a sudden a light bulb turns on and you feel great, or what....I'm hopeful that since I've had some improvements that SJW is going to work for me....

I'm also taking NAC. I had a test done that showed I was in high need of glutathione. And low glutathione in the brain as been found in people with OCD, and certain types of depression. Glutathione is also a major antioxidant in the body and is needed for detox, etc....NAC might also be helping. My ND said it's compatible with SJW.

I am taking a little 5-htp or Tryptophan with the SJW to help boost its effectiveness and hopefully make it work faster.....Might help if I'm really low in Serotonin....I'd only do this with your doctors instructions...You don't want too much Serotonin. And probably don't need it if SJW is making you feel great...It SJW starts to loose it's effectiveness you might ask your doctor about adding a little 5-htp or typtophan.

So, I'm only in the beginning stages of SJW treatment. I'm hoping for full recovery! I'm tired of the impending doom, hopeless, fear, feelings...I just want to be happy and get on with my life. I'm also working on trying not to be so focused on my discomforts as I think that just makes things worse...

I am taking Nature's Path Perika brand SJW. 1 tab 3x per day.

Did anyone else have a light bulb experience with SJW or was it a gradual improvement until you got better....?

Soccer Dude

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear about your tough tough times. I'm in a little bit of a rush but I saw your post and knew I had to respond, so this will be short. I'm glad you're taking Perika, that's one of the best SJW products out there. I'm also glad you're so informed! With my personal experience, no there was no 'lightbulb' moment. When I first started taking SJW it was because of my life situation. I was at home in highschool, and my dad was dying of an irreversible cancer. I took SJW so I could cope and not be distracted by this tragedy at all times. So for me, I noticed improvement literally 2-3 months later, when I was about to quit. My dads diagnoses was getting much worse, while I started to feel as if I was on an 'even' keel. - fast forward to now, he's gone. I can't really say SJW makes me 'happy' anymore because happiness isn't something that is very apparent during times of grief. However, the feelings of grief, the thoughts about him that would normally drag me down; do not nearly as often. They still happen, although I am able to respond positively. I am able to cope when in times of grief many people are not. Cutting to the chase, keep taking it. If you are already noticing benefit, that is phenomenal. There will be more as time carries on. But really, you need to give it time to feel the full effect. Our bodies are complex. Try to focus on fun things in your life. Things you care about. If you cannot think of any, just distract yourself. Feel yourself breathe, listen to the sounds around you, even watch a good movie. I guarantee that the more you do these things and try to keep presently aware, the more you will not obsess over how you feel, and in turn you will feel better.. I wish you the best. Douggers.

Spunt

Hi,

Regarding " am taking a little 5-htp or Tryptophan with the SJW to help boost its effectiveness and hopefully make it work faster.....Might help if I'm really low in Serotonin....I'd only do this with your doctors instructions...You don't want too much Serotonin. And probably don't need it if SJW is making you feel great...It SJW starts to loose it's effectiveness you might ask your doctor about adding a little 5-htp or typtophan."

You might find taking L-tyrosine along with the 5-HTP reduces the anxiety and panic attacks. Most people can take 5 HTP alone for only a few weeks before needing to balance it out with L-tyrosine. If serotonin gets pushed up without it's counterparts, like dopamine and nor-epinephrine, anxiety and panic attacks are common.

I hope you find relief and happiness. :spin:

Hi Douggers. Sorry about your loss..... thank you for sharing your experience.

I'm on my 4th week of SJW. No real lift in mood yet. Now and then I feel some emotions I hadn't have in a while but nothing stable yet. Still seems to be helping my nervous system. I am dealing with some blood sugar/insulin issues. I'm not diabetic, but do have some hypoglycemic symptoms. (3 hours after a glucose tolerance test I crashed into the low 50's). Anyway, I have reactions to eating foods. Doesn't matter if I eat protein/veggies, carbs, nuts, avocado, meet...If it's near lunch time, or just before dinner, I will experience a drop in mood, energy, and may feel panic. I've been tested with high noon insulin before. So, it might be some sort of reactive hypoglycemia. I started taking some Chromium. I started to feel really good, more energy, better mood, but my insomnia got really bad. So, I dropped the dose, still helps with reactions to eating, they are less intense and shorter in duration, and the last couple of days I'm sleeping a little better. I've read that chromium can help a-typical depression. Not sure, read up on it...I'm hoping it will help my cells deal with insulin/glucose better.

In regards to SJW, I've read it can take 5-6 weeks, 9 weeks, and for you it seemed to take 8-12 weeks. I guess we are all different. I'm just getting a little worried since the bottle of Perika says 2-4 weeks. I will keep giving it more time....I'm also a little worried if I'm out of balance in another neurotransmitter that SJW doesn't touch like Gaba, Dopamine, etc... I take some L-Theanine now and then and it seems to help... It's supposed to help effect Gaba levels. My ND recommended it as a way to boost Gaba. Gaba supplements don't seem to help me much.

Douggers, you are right, it does help to distract yourself. I do tend to worry about how I feel. The worst thing, that is most disappointing, is when I start to feel better, then I relapse or start having impending doom panicky feelings, worse depression, then I worry I'm not going to get better. I don't want to have these horrible feelings that have plagued me for these past 2 years. I was debilitated. So, when I do have set backs, I try to stay focused and know that this is temporary and I should feel better. I try to focus on positive things, but it's hard to some times. As I also deal with panic in some ways....The first year of my illness, I just had bad anxiety some panic and insomnia. My mood was pretty good and didn't have these impending doom feelings. It wasn't until a year later after trying the SSRI's that these feelings came on strong and have plagued me ever since.

Spunt....I noticed when I first tried 5-HTP when I first got bad, it OVER stimulated me right away. And it still does to this day I think. But my ND said you need to take it with tyrosine like you mentioned and that wouldn't happen. But, I think I also get stimulated from tyrosine. :) My ND thinks I'm sensitive as one thing tyrosine converts to is Adrenaline...At low doses of the combo I think I'm fine, but when I was at higher doses as part of the amino acid protocol I was on, I was having bouts is anxiousness, sweating, etc..My insomnia was worse at times, I'd have muscle spasms, heart racing, fast pulse, etc... At the lower doses I seemed better. I tried some l-phenylalanine the precursor to tyrosine as it will also convert to PEA which some depressed people are low in, and PEA can give a euphoric feeling (PEA is what I believe exercise helps to raise, endorphins)... And it seems to help some...Anyway, now that I'm on SJW, not sure if taking all these aminos is a good idea, I've dropped most of them, and only take tryptophan now and then, some times 5-htp. Now and then a little l-phenylalanine or tyrosine....

I used to have a strange effect of taking 2000mg or more of tryptophan at night... I'd have strange brain zap like feelings (nothing bad, or uncomfortable, they were light) and a strange butterfly feeling in the stomach like a quick panic like feeling. It doesn't seem to do that now. Although I'm taking smaller doses off and on during the day...

I appreciate your responses. And I hope you are all feeling great! Funny thing is, now and then I remember how it felt to feel normal, I can almost taste it at times....That gives me some hope. :)

Soccer Dude

Soccer Dude

Update:

My doctor suggested I increase my dose of Perika SJW to 1200mg (300mg 4x per day). I started that last Friday. I'm hoping this isn't too much. I've been on 900mg for 6 weeks, and although it seemed to calm my nervous system, I didn't get much depression lift. Now that I'm on 1200mg for a few days, I seem to be sleeping better (not sure if it was the SJW increase or not) and maybe a bit of a mood boost, but I'm also taking a little l-carnitine which is giving me some mental energy and blood sugar stability.... I've read where another person didn't feel anything on 900mg, went to 1200mg and depression was gone. I know we are all different, so I'm hoping maybe 1200mg will be the sweet spot for me. Or, maybe I should have stayed on 900mg for a few more weeks to see what would happen before going on 1200mg?

How long should I give 1200mg to see if it will be effective before going to the next level? If it's like any SSRI, I've read it could take a few weeks or so to notice, but....

I do take a little tryptophan or 5-htp and/or tyrosine now and then to boost effectiveness (help to make neurotransmitters), and now and then pop 200mg of SAM-e.

Douggers, what dose of SJW were you on, when you started to feel good?

Thanks.

Soccer Dude

Well, it's been 7 weeks since I've started SJW. 6 weeks at 900mg and 1 week at 1200mg. Not sure I've noticed any change from 900 to 1200mg. Can it take more than a week at 1200mg to notice a change? I think I've had some increase in anxiety or anxiousness after the increase, but nothing too bad...I know that is a normal side effect for some SSRI's when you start or increase a dose....Anyway, I guess I need to settle into the 1200mg for a bit and see what happens.....I'm really hoping or a mood lift soon... When I was on Lexapro for four week, it totally numbed my emotions but as soon as I got off I started to feel better and Remeron which I started helped me sleep and 7 days later I felt 100% normal for a few days... This happened a second time after trying lexapro for 4 weeks while still on Remeron. So, there is some sort of chemical change in my brain that took place and I felt great, not sure what really helped. Lexapro made me feel worse, although it must have made some sort of change as when I went off I felt really good even for a short time. So, I'm hoping SJW will do the same as it targets the same neurotransmitters as Remeron I believe, which Lexapro targets just one (serotonin).

Soccer Dude

Well, it's been 11 weeks going on my 12th week of SJW. Last week I increased my dose from 900mg to 1200mg. I'm taking Perika by Nature's Way. I felt it has helped calmed my nervous system, but my depression still exists. (lack of emotions, not feeling happy, joy, peace, etc...) I have less feelings of worry and panic, but my emotions go up/down during the day. Afternoons, after lunch I feel the worse it seems. Not sure why.

I've also added low dose 5mg of Lithium Orotate (OTC not Rx). Seems to kinda help.....

I'm hoping 1200mg will make a difference for me. How long does a dose change take to notice a difference if it's going to work? 1 week, 2 weeks more? Also, can you experience side-effects with a dose increase? I never seemed to have any real noticeable side effects taking SJW, but it seems that 1200mg might have made me feel slightly more depressed at times? didn't seem to increase my anxiety, and my insomnia doesn't seem worse.....

Not sure how to take my 1200mg. I was taking one 300mg 4x per day spread out. Today I'm going to try 2x with breakfast and 2x with lunch, and not take any later in the day to see if that might help with my insomnia. (I had insomnia before SJW, but want to see if it's improved by taking my SJW earlier in the day). It might help with insomnia by rebalancing my brain chemicals but by taking it later in the day it could cancel that effect.

Soccer

Spunt

Soccer Dude;n24546 said:
Well, it's been 11 weeks going on my 12th week of SJW. Last week I increased my dose from 900mg to 1200mg. I'm taking Perika by Nature's Way. I felt it has helped calmed my nervous system, but my depression still exists. (lack of emotions, not feeling happy, joy, peace, etc...) I have less feelings of worry and panic, but my emotions go up/down during the day. Afternoons, after lunch I feel the worse it seems. Not sure why.

I've also added low dose 5mg of Lithium Orotate (OTC not Rx). Seems to kinda help.....

I'm hoping 1200mg will make a difference for me. How long does a dose change take to notice a difference if it's going to work? 1 week, 2 weeks more? Also, can you experience side-effects with a dose increase? I never seemed to have any real noticeable side effects taking SJW, but it seems that 1200mg might have made me feel slightly more depressed at times? didn't seem to increase my anxiety, and my insomnia doesn't seem worse.....

Not sure how to take my 1200mg. I was taking one 300mg 4x per day spread out. Today I'm going to try 2x with breakfast and 2x with lunch, and not take any later in the day to see if that might help with my insomnia. (I had insomnia before SJW, but want to see if it's improved by taking my SJW earlier in the day). It might help with insomnia by rebalancing my brain chemicals but by taking it later in the day it could cancel that effect.

Soccer
Hi,

I can't answer many of your questions as everyone's system is different. For me I've had to increase levels VERY slowly. Also increased anxiety after eating can be sign of needing more l-tyrosine. If you find it too strong simply take less, you can open a capsule or cut a tablet. I've been taking 5 HTP and l-tyrosine for years now and I still don't take a whole capsule at a time of either one. It can be scary at first because logic tells you tyrosine=adrenaline therefor increases anxiety but if you are low on it it will have the opposite effect and greatly reduce panic attacks and anxiety. It's as if your body is trying to freak you out so you'll produce the adrenaline that it needs. Once your body gets the neurotransmitters it needs from the l-tyrosine then it doesn't need to freak out to get it.

It sounds like you are still only trying Perika. After this long without the level of success you are looking for it might be worth the effort of trying others. Besides the one I mentioned in my other thread, I have heard good things about Vogel which can be found here.... http://www.iherb.com/A-Vogel-St-John-s-Wort-Tablets-60-Tablets/10937?ic=1&flt=0000

It's hard to buy supplements in the US because they are essentially unregulated. I've found bogus ones and good ones. In order to avoid getting complaints about saying a given brand is bad I'll just say what I've found to be excellent. For 5 HTP the best I've found so far is Biotics Research, such as http://www.amazon.com/Biotics-Resea...886240&sr=8-1&keywords=biotics+research+5+htp and Twinlab for L-tyrosine such as http://www.iherb.com/Twinlab-L-Tyrosine-100-Capsules/2441?ic=1&flt=0000

Hi Spunt,

I'm still on 1200mg of SJW (Perika) brand. I feel that it has been helping calm my nerves, but my insomnia continues, and some depression. I had a ASI (Adrenal Stress Index) done recently, and it showed I had depressed DHEA, which last year it was VERY high. Strange... And my Noon Cortisol levels were a bit depressed. So, my ND has me taking low doses of DHEA, and I would have to say I have more stress resistance, more mental energy to take on more things, and not feel low or anxious, and it seems my mood is slightly better. But, it's causing my insomnia to be worse, which is not good. Rrrrrg.

I have tried more Tryptophan but recently it seems to give me heart palps, and feel off, so I'm thinking my Serotonin levels might be normal, or on the high side, and something else like Norepinepherine is causing what is left of my depression or possibly hormones. I tried some more Tyrosine off and on with Mucuna, and Methyl B12, seemed to help, but lately it's making me feel a little more anxious and sweaty, like either is converting to too much Adrenaline, or is just too stimulating (which is a side-effect), etc... So, I might just try smaller amounts in water sipped on off/on during the day.

Not sure if I should switch SJW brands, A little nervous about that since I've hadn't seemed to have any side-effects with Perika. And it might be keeping my anxiety/panic at bay. My depression could be my horrible insomnia/hormones. Yet, I always go back to the time I was on Lexapro which numbed my emotions and made me feel horrible, got off it after 4 weeks started Remeron and in 7 days felt 100% better then 3 days later I relapsed. this happened a 2nd time after trying Lexapro again for 4 weeks while on Remeron, but this time I felt wonderful mentally but had some anxiety which I was able to tolerate as my mood was so good, but that didn't last. So, did Lexapro restore my Serotonin levels but for some reason was making me feel so low and awful, then when I got off it, I felt great as whatever it was doing to cause me to feel to ill lifted leaving the Serotonin benefit in place. And then Remeron enhanced that effect by it's antidepressent or anti-histamine effects.....So, I keep wondering, is my mood still low serotonin, or is it hormones.

Anyway, so I'm still in search of better health. Still have insomnia. My mood is a bit better, low anxiety/panic, but still don't feel right/normal. I think I'm getting close. Oh, one thing I was struggling ever since getting of the meds like Remeron was feeling worse after eating especially after lunch and some times between 4-5pm, I slump, feel anxious and more depressed. After starting DHEA that has almost gone away and infact some times I feel better after eating now. Strange. I think the DHEA is helping me to regulate my insulin/glucose.

I've also started Glutathione IV pushes/supplements.

That's where I'm at right now.

I just wish I could get some sleep, any thoughts, ideas? Any meds I could mix with SJW, or other natural stuff? Believe me I tried almost everything!!! I recently tried Catnip, which did kinda help at first, then it seemed to make me feel depressed a little in the morning, but not sure if that was caused by the Catnip or something else.

Thank you,

Soccer

Spunt;n24462 said:
Hi,

Regarding " am taking a little 5-htp or Tryptophan with the SJW to help boost its effectiveness and hopefully make it work faster.....Might help if I'm really low in Serotonin....I'd only do this with your doctors instructions...You don't want too much Serotonin. And probably don't need it if SJW is making you feel great...It SJW starts to loose it's effectiveness you might ask your doctor about adding a little 5-htp or typtophan."

You might find taking L-tyrosine along with the 5-HTP reduces the anxiety and panic attacks. Most people can take 5 HTP alone for only a few weeks before needing to balance it out with L-tyrosine. If serotonin gets pushed up without it's counterparts, like dopamine and nor-epinephrine, anxiety and panic attacks are common.

I'm still a little confused about SJW actions... Does it inhibit Serotonin and Norepinephrine or just Serotonin?

Spunt said:
Hi,

I'm still a little confused about SJW actions... Does it inhibit Serotonin and Norepinephrine or just Serotonin?

Spunt

In response to "I'm still a little confused about SJW actions... Does it inhibit Serotonin and Norepinephrine or just Serotonin? "

I'm not sure what research may show but from personal experience it seems to bring up everything, at least for my system.

maddog

The mechanism of action of SJW (in all of its forms) is still unclear. To say that it acts on such and such neurotransmitter is not adequate. We only know that it has a neurocognitive effect.

Different forms and brands of SJW have different effects to different people. This is why the patented extracts (LI 160 and WS 5570) are the most used, not because they are better but because the are the most predictable.

maddog said:
The mechanism of action of SJW (in all of its forms) is still unclear. To say that it acts on such and such neurotransmitter is not adequate. We only know that it has a neurocognitive effect.

Different forms and brands of SJW have different effects to different people. This is why the patented extracts (LI 160 and WS 5570) are the most used, not because they are better but because the are the most predictable.
"This is why the patented extracts (LI 160 and WS 5570) are the most used, not because they are better but because the are the most predictable. "

Does either of these patented extracts claim they target a specific neurotransmitter?

Well, I'm still doing about the same. I do have some better days or moments... I'm still on DHEA (7.5mg 2x perday). Seems to be helping some what.

I started using Valerian Root for sleep. It seems to help, or at least help me sleep deeper when I do sleep. I still wake up at 2 or 3am, but usually can fall back asleep and sleep a little longer, especially if I use more Valerian. It's strange because Valerian didn't seem to work or made me feel worse before when I had tried it. They say it effects Gaba. And Gaba and Serotonin have some sort of relationship, and maybe anything that effected Gaba when I had low Serotonin made me worse? Who knows. But it does seem to work pretty good on me know.

I'm still having issues with feeling worse after eating. I think it's definitely blood sugar/insulin/adrenal fatigue related. Typically I feel the worse after eating lunch. I could be a decent (content) mood, the eat, like today at Noon, chicken salad, then all of a sudden feel anxious, mood drops, feeling despair, shaky/sweaty (lightly)/cold, etc... Then after a short while I start feeling a bit better again. If this wouldn't effect me mentally so hard, I'd be okay with some of these physical stuff. I think as I sleep more, and my mood gets better, I will feel better and can tolerate these blood sugar ups/downs. I didn't eat much for breakfast today, and I ate lunch about Noon, so I can see why I might have had an issue . I typically eat a good protein breakfast by 9am, and lunch around 11am-Noon. I also have mood/energy dips between 3pm-5pm which is a sign of adrenal fatigue. Yesterday I ate some organic coconut oil, 500mg Methyl B12, and some nuts, and started feeling pretty good.

I'm still contemplating going from 1200mg SJW to 1500mg. I feel I'm so close, but yet not. Not sure if 1500MG will make a difference or not. I wonder if I tried 1500mg for one week if I could tell if it would work or not? I guess it's all about experimenting...I'm still on Perika.

I was at the beach this weekend, and it was sunny and close to 60 degrees which is amazing for January here. My mood did improve, and I felt some joy and feeling I hadn't had since I was probably a kid it seemed. Wow, sunshine hasn't effected me that much before I don't think. I do feel better when it's sunny out, like most of us I'm sure. But, I wonder what all chemical changes take place in sunny weather? I know when I went off Lexapro and for a week was on Remeron I was out in the sun sitting relaxing, and I could feel a chemical change in my brain, tingling and all of a sudden I felt steady state. I was perfectly happy, no anxiety, no despair, nothing, I never felt better. It didn't last, but.... I'm sure the meds had something to do with it but it seems the sunshine might have also helped in some way...

I also started taking Quercetin. It helps lower histamine. I'm a under methylator and tested high/normal for histamine. I think this might also be helping and would be why Remeron helped at one point for it's anti-histamine effect...So, I'm experimenting with Quercetin to see how it goes. Only been on it for about one week.

Soccer

I think I might have too much Serotonin...Well, I took 1000mg of Tryptophan last night, to boost my serotonin levels and help me to sleep. I got brain zaps, muscle twitches, fast heart beat, and 0 hours of sleep. Makes me wonder. Too much Serotonin? I've had soft stools lately, and mild heart palps from time to time.... I might be right at that threshold of enough and over the limit of Serotonin. But....I'm still depressed, low mental energy, etc... I'm sure it's the insomnia as I have a LOT of sleep to catch up on from massive 2 year insomnia. Also, there may be some adrenal fatigue and possibly other neurotransmitters that are still low. Such a mystery. Not sure if going from 1200mg to 1500mg would be a good idea if I may have enough Serotonin now, as that could be too strong.....

maddog

maddog said:

The patents have to do with the extraction method, not their efficacy on a particular neurotransmitter.

Hi, well, I'm still at 1200mg Perika SJW. I have been taking about 500mg of Tyrosine a day for the past week, but it seems that I might have too much Norepinephrine built up...I'm assuming that might be due to being on SJW. I've had Headaches,Heart Palpitations, Anxiety and Nervousness, Panic like symptoms in bed, sweating, Nausea etc.... So, I'm going to drop tyrosine for now. I wonder if I should back down to 900mg of SJW......Anyway....

Update.... I'm still one 1200mg of Perika SJW. It doesn't seem to be helping with my depression. Not sure if I need to raise my dose, go back down to 900mg or change brands.

I do have adrenal fatigue. I've been supplementing lower doses of DHEA (20mg split), 500mg - 1000mg of Maca Root, and just added 1 dose of Isocort. This all seems to help. My inomnia got worse after taking Isocort, but it seems to help stabilize my mood/energy dips around Noon and between 3-5pm. Hmmmm.

I also got my SpectraCell test results. I'm deficient in Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, and B12. I've been taking Magnesium Chloride with Methly-B12 shots for a while and they seemed to provide temporary benefits the next day but then it doesn't last. I just started liquid Magnesium Chloride 200mg a day, and WOW, I can feel it go to my brain instantly. It also makes me really sleepy. So, I tried it just at night, but I can still feel sleepy the next day. Not sure if this effect will wear off after awhile or not. Might be just my body finally getting the magnesium its needed for all these years and is going into parasympathetic mode and relaxing too much. Not sure.....

I have also been doing some Tyrosine, which I know can be stimluated although I haven't felt it, so not sure if it's contributing to my worsening insomnia or not. I have limited to taking about 500mg in the morning first thing....I do feel it's helping with energy and mood.

Now and then I take a dose of 5-htp or Tryptophan. In the past I felt 5-HTP was too stimulating and possibly caused gastro discomfort, so I'm hesitant to take it, plus I don't want to take too much since I'm on SJW. Now and then Tryptophan seems to give me some mood lift, but if I take it in the afternoons. If I take it at night before bed when you think it would help more with insomnia, I get stimluated and have heart palps, strange brain like zaps some times and then I can't sleep all night. Not sure what this is. I thought it might be too much serotonin causing a mild serotonin syndrome. Not sure. This has happened multiple times when taking tryptophan at night before bed. But I don't have that reaction if I take it in the afternoon. Not sure what that means. I thought about trying a different brand.

I feel I'm very close to steady state. I think the SJW might have been more effective for me if I didn't have adrenal fatigue and out of balance hormones. My Adrenal Stress Index test did show I had depressed cortisol and DHEA. Also my testosterone has been in the 300's, which in conventional medicine (MD's) consider that normal, but it's the low end of normal. Anything below 300 is considered low. But, I've read where people have symptoms in the 300's and in the 400's. So, not sure if that is contributing to my low moods and energy. One ND said I should be in the 500's at least but I think they's prefer me in the 600-800 range for my age I think??? Anyway, one ND precribed me a bio-identical testosterone creme, but I'm hesitant to try it right now. I am going to see a new ND who is supposed to be really good, and I want to get a 2nd opinion.

That's my update. I hope everyone else is doing well.

Soccer