• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

l-tyrosine and SJW

I have been taking SJW (perika, recommended dose) now for 2 weeks for moderate, chronic depression. I have not made up my mind as to its effectiveness yet. I would like to know if others are taking this in conjunction with l-tyrosine, any thoughts on potential benefits. Thanks.

First day on Tyrosine and 5-htp...

I've had mild depression now for a few months and decided to try a supplementation of tyrosine with 5-htp. Kind of a scattershot approach to raising my levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and seratonin.

I'll say that I felt the Tyrosine instantly. It basically had the effect of a triple espresso. I was uncomfortably jittery at first, but after an hour I felt just fine. I'm also taking 5-htp with meals and it's more difficulty to tell if it's working.

There is no question though, I feel better, more clear-headed and more motivated than I have in weeks. I think once my body adjusts to the Tyrosine the "speedy" effect will die down a bit.

I took 500mg of Tyrosine on an empty stomach in the morning. Didn't need coffee, but had some green tea. I think the tea may have amplified the effects of the tyrosine, but not in a bad way. Took 50mg of 5-htp at breakfast and at lunch, and like I said, it was hard to tell the effect as the effect of the tyrosine was so strong. It reminds me of Wellbutrin.

Also noticed my "sweet tooth" practically vanished. So there is an appetite suppression going on here, which isn't a bad thing for me.

I have heard that the effects of 5-htp wears off after a couple months after you develop a tolerance to it and you have to go off it for a month. I figure I'll switch over to SJW for two months and then back to the 5-htp again and so on.

I'm definitely encouraged. It's lifted me out of the fog.

kelly

Administrator
Staff member
L-tyrosine does work very quickly. I keep some around for those rare days when I haven't slept well (or at all!) the night before, and am having a bad day yet need to do something important and also look cheery, such as for an imminent job interview. So I only take it very rarely, but feel it working within an hour or so. I have no experience with taking it on a regular basis. It makes me feel very calm and relaxed. It makes you jittery with 500mg? If it's a tablet, maybe you an cut it in half and try that? It won't affect you quite so strongly over time so you'll get used to 500mg otherwise. Haven't heard of anyone taking more than that, some people just take 100mg.

Kelly

Tyrosine

I had the first day jitters on Tyrosine, but my body seems to have assimilated well and the jitters have disappeared. It definitely lifts me out of the fog. I take one 500mg in the morning and another in the afternoon. The 5-htp seems to be working OK too. I also drink lots of green tea, maybe four cups a day. Seems to keep my motor running all day without feeling jittery or "speedy."

I'm looking at adding a free form amino acid complex to my regimen. I read an article that was fascinating, basically saying that depression comes from a protein deficiency. Lots of good advice although I think this guy is taking a heck of a lot of supplements.

Here's the link:

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=811

ratboy83

GuineaPig;1211 said:
I'm looking at adding a free form amino acid complex to my regimen. I read an article that was fascinating, basically saying that depression comes from a protein deficiency. Lots of good advice although I think this guy is taking a heck of a lot of supplements.

Here's the link:

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=811
very interesting. i've increased my protein intake recently due to a weight training progamme i've started (new addition to my depression free exercise laden lifestyle). he's right in thinking that people often overlook the other neurotranmitters other than dopamine, serotonin, norandrenaline, GABA and glutamate. i use whey protein- highest quality around and easy to digest.

alex.

ratboy83

GuineaPig;1111 said:
I took 500mg of Tyrosine on an empty stomach in the morning. Didn't need coffee, but had some green tea. I think the tea may have amplified the effects of the tyrosine, but not in a bad way. Took 50mg of 5-htp at breakfast and at lunch, and like I said, it was hard to tell the effect as the effect of the tyrosine was so strong.
inregards to green tea and tyrosine, the combo is perfect. the tyrosine provides building blocks needed for dopamine and noradrenaline synthesis, and the green tea enhances the release of these two neurotransmitters.

as for taking 5HTP with meals, i find this issue intriguing. i have read tow different sets of opinions on whether 5HTP should be taken on an empty stomach or with meals. one school of thought says it should be taken away from other protein (as with individual amino acids). the other school of thought says that this is unnecessary as 5HTP enters the brain a different way to L-tryptophan and so isn't affected by the other competing neutral amino acids. maybe that was partly why you didn't notice the effects of the 5HTP as much as you'd hoped? that's all speculative though. what are others views on the use of 5HTP with/ without food.

alex.

p.s. great user name guineapig! :smile: