• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Immediate Results.....is this normal?

Hello to everyone, and my gratitude to you all after reading this site.

I have been depressed (I think it's dysthymia) for 20 years and in denial about it. I have been in and out of therapy, but never put on meds because I thought I could "figure it out".

Well, long story short, I started SJW last week. I took it at around 11am, and by 1pm, I felt better that I had in 20 years. I am amazed. It hit my system like a freight train.

One week later, my house is cleaner than it has EVER been and I smile on my drive to work.

It's a miracle!...........I have read about many of you using this for weeks/months before it having any effect, and have read about those of you who are not experiencing any results.......

Is my experience unusual?..............since I seem to be so sensitive to the dosage (300mg/3x per day), will I develope a tolerance to it?

with gratitude,

Radio Silence

shy1

Hello Radio Silence,

Welcome to the forum!

We all react quite differently to SJW. Some sooner, some later and in your case apprently immediately. Assuming that's the case I wouldn't worry about tolerence. You'll know if/when you reach that point, but that shouldn't be for quite some time.

Congratulations! You took the first step toward healing and have instant gratification as well. What could be better?

Hi Shy........and thanks for the welcome.

Yes, instant gratification....................it's incredible.:dance:

I'm glad to hear that the effects shouldn't fade anytime soon!..

paulst

Hi radio silence, and welcome from me too:smile: Its brilliant your on the road to recovery so quickly, long may it last:dance:
paul

OnTrack

Hello Radio, its good to hear from people like you. Looks like im not the only one. Iv also had depression for at least 2-5 years at varying degrees, the worst period being about 2-3 weeks ago. I started taking SJW and within say a day or two I was feeling well :glowface: :confused: . A day later I was on vacation but still I noticed almost an immediate differnce. It was like my depressive symptoms have gone. Today, I have no depressive symptoms:smile: :wink:. I hope this last forever :dance:

Hi OnTrack......thanks for the good word. I was hoping to hear from someone that had a simliar experience to mine. Congrats on the road to recovery!

I am in week 2, and still VERY impressed with the results.

hopeful

good luck

Hi radio silence,

I am glad it worked for you so quickly. It must really feel great to be happy and 'up' again. I think I was one of the people that you read abuot that sjw didn't work for. I don't know why... maybe my depression is worse than what sjw can handle or i am one of those rare people who sjw just doesn't work for. i may try a different brand(kira) just to see but haven't decided. Anyway, enjoy your success and good luck!!

hopeful

It worked like that for me too. Took it 3 years ago when i was going through a bad patch in my life and started again 2 weeks ago as i have been feeling so down lately due to another upset in my life. Immediately i felt better and i make sure i take it regularly every day now. the only problem i have is that i seldom dream and now i'm finding that most nights i have very vivid dreams or i wake up regularly and my mind feels so active just like my brain is busy when im sleeping. Be nice to know if this is normal and does anyone else suffer in this way. Apart from this i swear by SJW.

@hopeful
Thank you so much for the good wishes, my prayers are with you to get the results you deserve. I feel extremely lucky.

@H2Obuffalo
I am using Nature's Blend. It's literally the first thing I could get my hands on. I just got up from my desk at work, walked across the street to the grocery store, and grabbed it from the vitamin isle. I'm thinking about buy my next bottle from an herb store, but I'm a little aprehensive about switching brands.

@lizzie110
Interesting about dreaming. I always have vivid dreams, and have not noticed a change in that area. I'm glad it worked fast for you as well.

dysthymia

Dear Radio Silence,
Like you, I was diagnosed with dysthymia (long-term depression). I think I've been on just about every pharmaceutical invented for depression. Since depression is something I've had since my teen years, this involves some 20-30 years of trying different prescription meds as different (and more) meds became available for depression. They all helped a little bit for a little while. The side effects were as devastating as the depression...primarily, anxiety and panic attacks. They either gave me insomnia or else I felt exhausted, yet too wired to sleep. I have tried just about everything...light therapy, talk therapy, exercise, vitamins, meat-less diets, etc. Yet I was still depressed, and hardly able to function. Going to the store for food has been a major deal and something I'd have to "work up to" for a day or two. Serious, debilitating depression. You know what I'm talking about.

Since I'd tried everything, and nothing helped, I gradually went off all anti-depressants (prescribed by the doc.) What's the point? With no meds at all, I actually felt a little better, but the key word here is a "little." A little difference, but not enough to pull me out of the depression.

My doctor has laughed and shrugged off herbal remedies and is just barely tolerant of me taking vitamins, evening primrose oil, etc. So I was hesitant to try SJW. I did alot of research on the internet, primarily the medical studies that have been done.

Finally, I decided 'what the heck?' I've tried everything else, so why not try this? For years I'd been trying various prescribed medications that altered brain chemisty. So what did I have to lose by trying SJW? I had nothing to lose. So I bought some and took it home. I figured I was throwing my money away.

That very same day, I felt better! In fact, I almost felt better than my best day on any of the prescription medications. So, the next day, I took SJW again. Then another day, then another day! With every passing day, I'm feeling better. I'm not talking about the "little bit" better like I would feel on a new prescription medication, but a vital and important amount of feeling better.

I tell myself that the "placebo effect" may be responsible for this HUGE change in how I'm feeling. But, who cares? If it's the placebo effect, then it's the placebo I need. I'm still in my first month of taking SJW. I've had the interest to clean my house, make some repairs on my house, look for a job, become interested in how I look again (makeup and hair styling), etc. The difference in how I feel is a dramatic one. I don't know if SJW helps like this for everyone. I believe there are many different causes for depression. With different causes, and different people, there won't be one simple, singular "cure" or help for depression that works for all people.

Yet, SJW essentially worked "overnight" for me.

So, to answer your question of can there be immediate results? You have my experience and your own to answer that question. Yes.

Hello!

I find this thread very interesting!!

I also tried SJW against my strong mood swings. But I got really depressed after taking it on the 2. day :wobblyeyes: ...that was because I was also taking bio-identical Progesteron...(Hormon)

I can tell you now..SJW is a strong herb...and be careful if you are taking any other medicine or hormon...

But no matter, Progesteron helps me anyway!:dance: I only wanted to try SJW as a support to my progesteron therapy...I did not know, that SWJ can have such an effect on other substances...

Bye- Reina

i have been having similar experiences to the dream problems. At times i will remember doing something or remember something happening, and i will have to think about it for a couple minutes to realize that it was a dream i had the night before. Other times ive had very realistic dreams but i forget them pretty quick after i wake up anyway. I don't see it as being a huge issue, because i feel like sjw is slowly kicking in and helping me to get better. Not to get too emotional or anything but i just broke up with my gf and recently i have extremely vivid and realistic dreams where we are together again. It is hard waking up and realizing it was just a dream but this is a side effect i can put up with, as long as sjw is making me feel better when i am awake.

I am glad to see that others are also having good effects from the start. It helps me to believe that this is not a placebo effect. I just posted in the intrduction section on this topic. I believe and hope that SJW can take effect quickly. I am already feeling more positive and less angry, and sleeping better after 3 days at 350mg/ 3x day. I am also feeling a little buzzy and jittery, have started having dreams that I can remember, and have had mild nausea with a complete loss of appetite. My kids are fighting like cats and dogs right now and I am not even feeling tense about it. This must be a sign of something happening, right?

generic

Erinne;2177 said:
I am glad to see that others are also having good effects from the start. It helps me to believe that this is not a placebo effect. I just posted in the intrduction section on this topic. I believe and hope that SJW can take effect quickly. I am already feeling more positive and less angry, and sleeping better after 3 days at 350mg/ 3x day. I am also feeling a little buzzy and jittery, have started having dreams that I can remember, and have had mild nausea with a complete loss of appetite. My kids are fighting like cats and dogs right now and I am not even feeling tense about it. This must be a sign of something happening, right?
I too am not hungry at all. This would be unhealthy for any length of time. If you don't start eating right soon, I would try backing off. You need food to be healthy too. 350mg 3x a day might be a bit much starting out. I too feel a little buzzy and am backing off to 150mg twice a day with food.

For anyone who feels good that fast is lucky. It "could" be a placebo effect, but even if it is, does it really matter? With any luck, sjw will start to really work if the placebo effect wears off.

Hi Generic, I think you are right that I may need to back down. Nothing tastes good and I had one dream/nightmare after another last night. After I saw the kids off this a.m. I went back to bed and slept 'til noon. I have had a headache ever since I woke up.
The bottle I have actually instructs one to take 2-350mg capsules twice a day and I thought I was being conservative. Now I think I'll try 1 capsule twice a day instead. Let me know how your dose continues to work for you.

Worked v. quick for me too

Hi,

I'm so glad you are doing great and experienced good results so early.
I hope you stay well now and in the future and wish you much joy!

I've had the same experience in the sense that SJW worked for me very quickly and seemed a bit like a miracle! I'de been moderately depressed for 3 months (had a panic attack and was then depressed) where I could function and manage social interactions, but left alone, had little interest in anything, felt very bleak about the future, negative and sad all the time.

I started cognitive behavioural therapy and that helped quite a bit, and I was recovering already but it was long, and slow and very difficult at times - rather than challenging negative self-talk it seemed easier to just stay with the negatitivy and feel bad. Then a week ago I started taking st. john's wort, and by the third day -- I didn't feel like crying. I felt happy and like myself, I did things easily that earlier I would have dreaded, more confident, better able to make decisions and feel as positive about the future and my abilities as I used to.

Its been a week and I feel healed, back to myself! I know this is soon, as it was for you, but it feels so great. The only side effect -- i feel tired and drowsy by the evening, but that could be because work is very hectic.

So I'm lucky and grateful that SJW has worked quickly and well for me. And I'm not so worried about it wearing off, because depression is partly about falling into negative thinking, and I'm hoping i won't do that as far as I had.

With the SJW I am back to feeling positive, but I'm making sure I use this time of feeling good to CONSIOUSLY think positive whenever I can -- by WRITING and telling myself things I've done well, tell myself good things about the future, congratulating myself for the good things that are in me, engaging with other people. So I;m using this good moment with SJW to heighten the process of consiously changing my negative self-talk (which caused my depression) into positive.

My therapist recommended this strategy -- to use the time that I am feeling so good, for some time everyday, to consciously think positive and to record the thoughts that build up my happiness and self worth -- jot down accomplishments, actions, feelings. This way even if I have a slide back to feeling low and being negative and beating myself up, I'll have a record to go back to immediately of the good things in me, and there are wonderful things in all of us.

Sorry for such a long post, and thank you Kelly!!

Worked v. quick for me too

Hi,

I'm so glad you are doing great and experienced good results so early.
I hope you stay well now and in the future and wish you much joy!

I've had the same experience in the sense that SJW worked for me very quickly and seemed a bit like a miracle! I'de been moderately depressed for 3 months (had a panic attack and was then depressed) where I could function and manage social interactions, but left alone, had little interest in anything, felt very bleak about the future, negative and sad all the time.

I started cognitive behavioural therapy and that helped quite a bit, and I was recovering already but it was long, and slow and very difficult at times - rather than challenging negative self-talk it seemed easier to just stay with the negatitivy and feel bad. Then a week ago I started taking st. john's wort, and by the third day -- I didn't feel like crying. I felt happy and like myself, I did things easily that earlier I would have dreaded, more confident, better able to make decisions and feel as positive about the future and my abilities as I used to.

Its been a week and I feel healed, back to myself! I know this is soon, as it was for you, but it feels so great. The only side effect -- i feel tired and drowsy by the evening, but that could be because work is very hectic.

So I'm lucky and grateful that SJW has worked quickly and well for me. And I'm not so worried about it wearing off, because depression is partly about falling into negative thinking, and I'm hoping i won't do that as far as I had.

With the SJW I am back to feeling positive, but I'm making sure I use this time of feeling good to CONSIOUSLY think positive whenever I can -- by WRITING and telling myself things I've done well, tell myself good things about the future, congratulating myself for the good things that are in me, engaging with other people. So I;m using this good moment with SJW to heighten the process of consiously changing my negative self-talk (which caused my depression) into positive.

My therapist recommended this strategy -- to use the time that I am feeling so good, for some time everyday, to consciously think positive and to record the thoughts that build up my happiness and self worth -- jot down accomplishments, actions, feelings. This way even if I have a slide back to feeling low and being negative and beating myself up, I'll have a record to go back to immediately of the good things in me, and there are wonderful things in all of us.

Sorry for such a long post, and thank you Kelly!!

yeah, worked really quickly for me as well, after I took it I was very giddy for a day. Now I'm getting used to not feeling hopeless about everything :) We'll see how it goes with time.