• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

Depression Lifted

Hi,

I have been taking st johns Perika for 9 weeks now 900mg a day 300 breakfast 300 lunch and 300 dinner and i can honestly say that my depression is gone. I do still suffer from some anxiety ie thinking something bad might happen or be said in social situations etc but it is no where near as bad as what it was.. I was taking 1g of fish oil daily high EPA but i have stopped this to test the anxiety and i have found that my anxiety has now improved since stopping the fish oil. I have now added ashwagandha 400mg in the morning and 400mg before bed to help witht the anxiety issues so will give this a few weeks to see if this helps also i am going to switch to Kira from perika as i heard this is better for anxiety.. But overall i am amazed at how things ahve changed for me since starting the st johns. Did anyone else find fish oil affected their anxiety? also any positive results from ashwagandha?

kelly

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Deccy,

That's great to hear! It works pretty fast doesn't it? And it's pretty amazing how your outlook changes when you're not depressed anymore. I'm glad that you found our site and posted about your experience.

I take fish oil every day but don't really suffer from anxiety, so I can't say it changed anything for me... maybe someone else can comment.

Cheers
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

thanks for your reply.. Yes it does work fairly quickly. It is a great site well done..

I have just switched from perika to kira and i am getting bad headaches-Hopefully theses will ease. I didnt think this would happen because they are similar. Already finding a bit more calming effect compared to perika which is great for depression but a bit stimulating i found... also ashwagandha seems to be helping with anxiety will give it a few more weeks... but looks promising...

Deccy;n4286 said:
Hi,

I have been taking st johns Perika for 9 weeks now 900mg a day 300 breakfast 300 lunch and 300 dinner and i can honestly say that my depression is gone. I do still suffer from some anxiety ie thinking something bad might happen or be said in social situations etc but it is no where near as bad as what it was.. I was taking 1g of fish oil daily high EPA but i have stopped this to test the anxiety and i have found that my anxiety has now improved since stopping the fish oil. I have now added ashwagandha 400mg in the morning and 400mg before bed to help witht the anxiety issues so will give this a few weeks to see if this helps also i am going to switch to Kira from perika as i heard this is better for anxiety.. But overall i am amazed at how things ahve changed for me since starting the st johns. Did anyone else find fish oil affected their anxiety? also any positive results from ashwagandha?
EPA can be anxiety provoking I have seen numerous reports that state that for Anxiety you should try a high DHA fish oil. They deffintley have different effects so you should give it a shot. Probiotics have been shown to be helpful as well. There is a post below about it.

tima

Also remember if one of your symptoms is anxiety it is usually the last symptom to go. Anxiety is like a furnace that is fed by your concerns. After your depressions has lifted for some time the anxiety should start to melt. Talk therapy can be helpful in speeding up the process if the physical side has been treated.

Deccy

thanks for the replies.. I have decided to stop the fish oil altogether and eat some fish and eggs during the week to get my omega's.. My daily supplement regime now is rhodiola force 100mg first thing in the morning, 900mg Kira st johns 3 doses during the day and 400mg ashwagandha at bedtime. I will stick to this for a few weeks and see how it goes. I am also starting to take probiotics at dinner each day so hopefully this will help the anxiety but the depression is def 95% better than what it was. And thanks Tima yes it appears it takes the anxiety longer to go after the depression has lifted but hopefully wont be much longer....

just an update on this.. I am now taking 300mg Kira daily, 100mg Rhodiola Rosea, 580mg Schizandra and 400mg Ashwagandha and i am starting to feel brilliant on this combination.. i am only just a week on this combo so will give it another few weeks to see how it goes...

Spunt

Deccy;n24434 said:
just an update on this.. I am now taking 300mg Kira daily, 100mg Rhodiola Rosea, 580mg Schizandra and 400mg Ashwagandha and i am starting to feel brilliant on this combination.. i am only just a week on this combo so will give it another few weeks to see how it goes...
Hi Deccy,

I'm happy to hear of your success and thank you for sharing your experience on the forum. If you can still find Kira please let us know where you purchase it, it seems to have been discontinued except for Britain, where it's sold as "Low Mood," and Germany, where it's sold as Jarsin.

Hi,

Fish Oil also makes me feel worse, maybe more depressed? I've tried Rhodiola, and it made me feel worse, like Lexapro did for me. I think Rhodiola has a lowering effect on cortisol which I believe I had low morning cortisol levels so it may have impacted me negatively. I tried Ashwagandha but didn't seem to do anything for me.

Perika SJW seems to have toned down my nervous system. I feel less anxiety/panic. But it hasn't really done much for my mood yet. I'm on my 4th week. It has not been stimulating to me, and I'm pretty sensitive. Now, I just hope and pray for a nice lift in mood.

Soccer Dude

Hi All,

i hope the perika lifts your mood soccer dude i think it will as it got rid of my depression it just made my anxiety a bit worse so that is why i switched. I am currently on Natures Way Standardized SJW.(I switched Because KIRA is no longer on the market)

I also found out that i suffered adrenal fatigue and i am currently on a combination of Rhodiola,ashwagandha,schizandra,holy basil,Licorice Root and eleuthero for this and i am feeling so much better now.. It took a lot of trial and research to find this combination but i feel i am now on the right track..

So here is to a bright future :)

Hi Deccy,

I also believe I have adrenal fatigue. Of course MD's don't recognize this condition. Either your adrenals work or they don't work. I've been tested by a Endocrinologist, and they say I'm fine. But....Anyway, I had tired Rhodiola before, but it was not a good choice for me for some reason. .I also tried ashwagandha, but didn't see any benefit, but I didn't give it a long try..... Right now all I'm doing is some Isocort, which is a natural plant based Cortisol product. I thought about trying licorice again and/or raw adrenal supplements... My testosterone levels were low/normal and estrogen a little high, so I'm on a natural product for that which can help give rest to the adrenals. It also contains MACA which is good for the endo system. But....I don't recommend too much Maca as I was on higher doses of it in the past and it was stimluting I think. And when I came off it, I crashed and had bad side effects. Well, I think it was the Maca, but i had just come off a back to back trial of a SSRI, and a two week trial of SJW (which seemed fine)...I think my system was just too messed up from trying all these meds and herbs around the same time frame....

I'm glad you are feeling so much better!!!!! I could use a little more energy at times. I think the Isocort has helped. Chromium has given me more mental energy and clarity, but at higher doses I got insomnia. So, I'm back to taking about 200mcg twice per day. I seem to have some reactive hypoglycemia. I'm hoping the chromium helps.

How much of Nature's Way SJW are you taking now? (Ya, strange that Kira isn't available any more. I looked at the sites I would buy something like that from and it's not available, not even on Amazon, strange. I wonder what happened? I know it was a German made product right? So, maybe they pulled it from the US for some reason.)

Yes, to a brighter future! :)

My doctor suggested I increase my dose of Perika SJW to 1200mg (300mg 4x per day). I started that last Friday. I'm hoping this isn't too much. I've been on 900mg for 6 weeks, and although it seemed to calm my nervous system, I didn't get much depression lift. Now that I'm on 1200mg for a few days, I seem to be sleeping better (not sure if it was the SJW increase or not) and maybe a bit of a mood boost, but I'm also taking a little l-carnitine which is giving me some mental energy and blood sugar stability.... I've read where another person didn't feel anything on 900mg, went to 1200mg and depression was gone. I know we are all different, so I'm hoping maybe 1200mg will be the sweet spot for me. Or, maybe I should have stayed on 900mg for a few more weeks to see what would happen before going on 1200mg. I believe there is one study using 1500mg (not sure which brand), but other studies are using 900mg. So, is taking more like 1200mg a good idea, or not? I just want to feel better. :)

Hi Deccy,

I increased my dose of Perika SJW from 900mg to 1200mg. I'm started to feel worse, not sure why...Maybe it's the dose increase. Is it just a temporary side effect, or is it making me feel more depressed? You said after 9 weeks your depression was gone, while on 900mg of SJW. At what point did you feel a lift of your depression? Was it gradual, or over night like a light bulb? I was only on 900mg for 6 weeks, before increasing to 1200mg for this current week. I think I'm going back down to 900mg. 1200mg might be too strong for me as I am sensitive...Not sure why it would make me more depressed. I do feel a little more anxious also....Since the recommended dose is 900mg I might just switch back and see how it goes...... :)

Hi Soccer Dude,

I personnally would think 1200mg is to strong a dose 900mg or even 600mg was what helped me. I did try 1200mg for a couple of days but this did not help.. I just strted to feel good over time i wasnt worrying or thinking about bad things anymore and i was getting back interested in hobbies etc.. it builds over time. Everyone is different but thats how it worked for me. Anxiety is the only thing that i still have a bit but that will take more time to sort. I currently take Holy Basil and ashwagandha for that.. Also Ginkgo Biloba is good to possibly increase the effectivness of st johns wort by improving blood flow.. I would stick to the 900mg 3 times a day for a bit longer if i was you..

Regards

Hi Deccy, I went back to 900mg. (300mg 3x per day). I'm on week 10 now, and still don't feel a lift in depression, not much of one anyway. I still don't feel that sense of happiness, looking forward to things, joy, etc...There are brief moments where I do, but...I thought about trying 1200mg again as it made the difference for someone else. But, I thought maybe I should at least give 900mg a try for 12 weeks. Sure is a long time for something to kick in. But, at the same time, I have terrible insomnia, etc...which doesn't help things...I did try some Ginkgo lately, seemed like it might help. Not sure. There is also some good info on Lithium Orotate which you can buy at a health food store and is not a Rx. Supposedly it's safer than a Rx and has many benefits. There are some great reviews in iherb.com for lithium orotate. It also is really helping people with anxiety feeling calm, etc.... So, I thought I might try it for a week as well.... Gaba does help me with anxiety and so does Kava root. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate all the feedback and info I can get. :)

Steve888

Hi Soccer Dude, a couple of supplements that have really made a big difference for me were 5HTP and SAM-E. You may want to try 50mg 5HTP and 200mg SAM-E which are the lowest dosages to see how you feel. For me 200mg of 5HTP pulled me out of the crying spells and dark feelings I had for a few months. I had it as a result of adrenal fatigue. Later on I tried 400mg SAM-E and it really brightened me up quite a bit.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I have tried both 5-htp and SAM-e. 5-htp seems to overstimulate me like caffeine. SAM-e seems to help, but it's a sulfur donor I believe and I have a CBS and BHMT mutation which products containing sulfur could be bad for me, until I get that area of my methylation cycle working better. But, I'm sure occasional use of SAM-e is probably okay. I still do take low amounts of 5-htp from time to time hoping to get SJW to take me to steady state. Not sure if I'm just low on Serotonin or what. I do feel I have some adrenal fatigue, but I always have energy when I get up in the morning, but typically drop in the early afternoon...Ya, it's all about finding what works for you, and in what amounts ,etc.... :) Thanks again for your reply.

My ND suggested I try "Serotonin Dopamine Liquescence" (http://pureformulas.com/serotonin-d...ofessional-formulas.html#sthash.COQtaPgI.dpbs). She said she has patients who don't do well on amino acid therapy that do well with this product. I seem to be very sensitive to amino acids like tyrosine, 5-htp (not so much a true amino), Tryptophan seems okay for me, and I do take some of this at night before bed. It converts to 5-htp then Serotonin. But some can be converted to Niacin. I guess that's why some Tryptophan products come with niacin. It takes more Tryptophan to make Serotonin than 5-htp, but it seems less stimulating to me. I haven't received the Serotonin Dopamine Liquescence product yet, so I don't know if it will work. My ND said it is okay to take with everything else I'm on. It might just enhance SJW. I will report later if it works. Hope it arrives in the mail today or later this week. I'm also testing Lithium Orotate. It's the non Rx form, and supposedly is safer since you don't need as much to be effective. I'm testing at 5mg per day and will give it a week to see how it goes. There are some great reviews on iherb.com about Lithium Orotate. Some people that don't have bi-polar use it who have depression and anxiety and it works for both. And i read somewhere that taking B12 could potentially decrease your lithium levels. And I take lots of B12. Lithium also helps transport B12 from what I've read. I will report back if it helps. So far it does seem to make me feel a little more stable with less mood (anxious/panicky) dips the two days I've been on it so far. Some people claim they feel a difference the first dose, others maybe a little longer. Serotonin Dopamine Liquescence
Serotonin Dopamine Liquescence