• Dear Guest, if you are new here please "sign up" at the top if you'd like to post messages. And if you have used this forum before note we upgraded to new forum software and couldn't transfer the passwords. To get into your account, click on the "log in" button, then click on "Forgot your password?" and reset your password. All previous posts were safely transferred to the new system but custom avatars and private messages unfortunately didn't get moved over. The upside is a newer, simpler, friendly forum.

After 5 months

Male, 5'11" about 170lbs.

Well, started with 3/day for about 4 & 1/2 months before bed and one super vitamin B complex in the morn.. Noticed a difference after about 6 or 7 weeks but nothing major and that lasted till about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I then decided to up it to 4 per day in the last few weeks and it was a major improvement. I mean shocking improvement this last week or so. It's pretty amazing. I want to try 5 per day just to see if it gets better but I don't want to push it.

Anyways, so my advice is if it isn't really working to your liking after 3 months, then bump it up a dose.

interesting information. there was a person saying they didn't buy the whole waiting for 2/3 months for full effect thing with sjw on these boards the other day, have to say I kind of agreed with him or her but you post is intereting.

so what where you taking, brand and dosage? 900mg a day? You say 3 a day so im guessing they where 300mg each.

When you bumped to 4 were you still on the b complex. Wonder if their were any absorbion issues with this.

I'd say stick to 4 a day for a while to get used to it.

I have been taking St. John*s Wort for 3 months continually (in the past I also took it, but not for long as a month) and I just realised that I need to continue taking it. At first, I took some capsules which contained 100 mg SJW, but also lavander, lemon balm and valerian.I took 4-6 a day. But now I bought SJW capsules and I am taking 3/day, that means 750 mg per day. I am noticing a big difference in my anxiety and ocd, but I still have days where I just can*t seem to get rid of that intrusive thoughts :frown: . But I feel that I have made an important step towards my healing. I am also taking 2000 mg of flaxseed oil daily and I am thinking of buying fish oil capsules also. No side effects from taking SJW, well just a little sensitivity to light. But I am feeling so much better, I feel that my "crazy" thoughts have subsided and I just am more confident with my life in general.
My question is this: How long can I take SJW??? I mean can I take it let*s say a whole year without any break ??? Won*t it harm me it I take it contineuselly???Do I need to take a break??? Can I just continue to take SJW, without any break, until the end of the year???

alizee2007;10370 said:
My question is this: How long can I take SJW??? I mean can I take it let*s say a whole year without any break ??? Won*t it harm me it I take it contineuselly???Do I need to take a break??? Can I just continue to take SJW, without any break, until the end of the year???
Hiya Alizee,

The simple answer is that you can take SJW indefinitely. There are no serious long-term implications. The only risk that you run is that it may become less effective over time. I took SJW every day for two years and it worked great. After two years, however, it stopped working and my depression returned. This is just my own experience. It, by no means, happens to everyone -- but it's something to be aware of.

Sheephead. :smile:

jbats;10375 said:
If you don't mind me asking...what did you do once it stopped working?
jbats,

In short, I struggled terribly. I stuck it out at work for two months (of sheer hell -- the worst two months of my life) before being signed off by my doctor. I was then put on sick leave for the best part of two years. Eventually, I went back to work part time and started talk therapy -- CBT plus a depression / anxiety counsellor -- which greatly improved my condition. However, I realised that I couldn't go back to my stressful office job, so I started a new career as a courier / delivery driver and I haven't looked back.

In the end, I had to remove the thing from my life that was driving the depression - i.e. my job. I loved it, I loved the people and it paid well, but it took too great a toll in terms of stress / anxiety, which was causing my depression.

Sheephead.

So it is ok to take SJW for a long time with no break. I must tell you that SJW is the most effective for my anxiety/ Ocd - because I also took Rhodiola Rosea but with no effects. So SJW works greatly for me, hope its effect will not diminuish over time.I am also taking Flaxseed Oil which also is great for anxiety/depression.

Wow, that's brutal. Did you ever try conventional antidepressants?

sheephead;10376 said:
jbats,

In short, I struggled terribly. I stuck it out at work for two months (of sheer hell -- the worst two months of my life) before being signed off by my doctor. I was then put on sick leave for the best part of two years. Eventually, I went back to work part time and started talk therapy -- CBT plus a depression / anxiety counsellor -- which greatly improved my condition. However, I realised that I couldn't go back to my stressful office job, so I started a new career as a courier / delivery driver and I haven't looked back.

In the end, I had to remove the thing from my life that was driving the depression - i.e. my job. I loved it, I loved the people and it paid well, but it took too great a toll in terms of stress / anxiety, which was causing my depression.

Sheephead.

jbats;10380 said:
Wow, that's brutal. Did you ever try conventional antidepressants?
I did. During my time off work I tried five or six different conventional ADs - Paxil, Celexa, Moclobemide, Reboxetine and Wellbutrin. None worked and all had unpleasant side effects, most usually tiredness and sluggishness. I trialled the paxil and celexa for 2-3 months, but as I worked down the list I started giving them less and less time. By the time I took wellbutrin I was getting the usual side effect by 2-3 days so I just discontinued.

Unfortunately the same goes for other types of medication, such as statins and blood pressure tablets -- I just can't tolerate them. :rolleyes:

Sheephead.

Paulette

SJW vs. 5-HTP

Hello. I've read from both discussion boards on 5-HTP and SJW. I've been on 25mg. of 5-HTP per my dr., with test results of serotonin being extremely low. Even at 25mg. I'm still having depression, with headaches and impaired vision ( but do not know if it is related , or to what)

I know too that 25mg. is still a low dose which I need to up soon.
But, has anyone tried both SJW and 5-HTP seperately or together?
And I would love to hear your experience.

Are blood tests for serotonin reliable too? Mine were so low they were off the charts ( and I was having and still am to some degree, depression and anxiety.)

Thanks, Paulette:frown:

Paulette

Sjw

How long have ;you been on SJW and what brand and dosage?
Flaxseed oil, what dosage do you take?
Do you know how long one can stay on SJW and can one easily taper down to a lower dose over time, with no side effects?

Thanks, Paulette

alizee2007;10379 said:
So it is ok to take SJW for a long time with no break. I must tell you that SJW is the most effective for my anxiety/ Ocd - because I also took Rhodiola Rosea but with no effects. So SJW works greatly for me, hope its effect will not diminuish over time.I am also taking Flaxseed Oil which also is great for anxiety/depression.

Paulette

Sjw

Hello, May I please ask, what brand and daily dosage you are taking?
And how long you have been on it, and doing now?
Paulette Thank you.

alizee2007;10370 said:
I have been taking St. John*s Wort for 3 months continually (in the past I also took it, but not for long as a month) and I just realised that I need to continue taking it. At first, I took some capsules which contained 100 mg SJW, but also lavander, lemon balm and valerian.I took 4-6 a day. But now I bought SJW capsules and I am taking 3/day, that means 750 mg per day. I am noticing a big difference in my anxiety and ocd, but I still have days where I just can*t seem to get rid of that intrusive thoughts :frown: . But I feel that I have made an important step towards my healing. I am also taking 2000 mg of flaxseed oil daily and I am thinking of buying fish oil capsules also. No side effects from taking SJW, well just a little sensitivity to light. But I am feeling so much better, I feel that my "crazy" thoughts have subsided and I just am more confident with my life in general.